Super League round-up: Wins for Catalans, Leigh, Huddersfield and St Helens

Drew Darbyshire
Gareth O'Brien Leigh Leopards SWpix

Photo: Paul Currie/SWpix

It was an entertaining Friday night of Super League action in Round 13, with Leigh, Catalans, Huddersfield and St Helens all picking up wins.

Catalans Dragons 36-6 Wakefield Trinity

Wakefield fell to yet another defeat with Catalans claiming a 36-6 victory in Perpignan.

Steve McNamara welcomed back Tyrone May, while Fouad Yaha made his first appearance of the season after dislocating his shoulder during pre-season training.

Wakefield full-back Max Jowitt also made his much-awaited return from injury, with Jack Croft named in the centres after re-joining the club earlier this week. Luke Gale missed out once again.

Winger Tom Johnstone continues his fine debut season in France, crossing for two more tries to take his total tally of the season to 14.

Fresh from his new extended contract, Arthur Mourgue produced 16 points in the victory, with one try and six goals – five conversions and an added penalty.

Cesar Rouge and Mike McMeeken also scoring, alongside a first Catalans try for 21-year-old Tanguy Zenon.

Catalans: Mourgue; Yaha, Romano, Ikuvalu, Johnstone; Rouge, May; Bousquet, McIlorum, Navarrete, Whitley, McMeeken, Garcia. Subs: Goudemand, Taukeiaho, Dezaria, Zenon. 18th man: Seguier.

Wakefield: Jowitt; Kay, Croft, Dagger, Taufua; Smith, Lino; Proctor, Hood, Bowden, Tanginoa, Ashurst, Pitts. Subs: Bowes, Battye, Crowther, Eseh. 18th man: Pratt.

Leigh Leopards 30-12 Warrington Wolves

Leigh continued their impressive start to life in Super League with a 30-12 win over Warrington at the Leigh Sports Village.

It was a good start for Leigh, who took a 14-0 lead inside 24 minutes thanks to tries from Gareth O’Brien and Tom Briscoe as well as three goals from Ben Reynolds.

Warrington pulled one back in the 27th minute as Daryl Clark made a break from inside his own half to assist the supporting George Williams who scored under the posts.

Leigh extended their lead though when O’Brien got his second by showing good support play for an Edwin Ipape break.

Warrington hit back just before the break when Joe Philbin crashed over from close range. The Leopards led 20-12 at half-time.

The Leopards didn’t take their foot off the gas in the second half by posting further tries through Charnley and Ben Reynolds to wrap up an impressive 30-12 win.

Leigh: O’Brien; Briscoe, Leutele, Hardaker, Charnley; Reynolds, Lam; Amone, Ipape, Mulhern, Holmes, O’Donnell, Asiata. Subs: Mellor, Seumanufagai, Halton, Davis.

Warrington: Dufty; Russell, Mata’utia, Ratchford, Ashton; Williams, Dean; Harrison, Walker, Vaughan, Currie, McGuire, Clark. Subs: Kasiano, Philbin, Dudson, Minikin. 18th man: Bullock.

Leeds Rhinos 12-13 St Helens

It was another dramatic Super League clash in front of the Sky Sports cameras, with Lewis Dodd once again clinching the match winner over Leeds much like the one against Penrith in the World Club Challenge. 

On the third attempt, Dodd’s effort secured a huge 13-12 victory at Headingley Stadium with just minutes left in extra time. 

Leeds’ injury crisis was a talking point throughout the Round 13 tie, with several players forced from the action across the feisty fixture. 

Starting half-back pairing Aidan Sezer and Morgan Gannon were both forced from the field in the first half for Leeds, who are already currently without Blake Austin due to a calf injury.

The biggest blow of the night however came to Harry Newman, who left the field with pure pain and emotion on his face.

Jon Wells reported on Sky Sports that it was another suspected hamstring injury, with the Leeds centre having struggled throughout the 2022 campaign with the same issue, limited to just seven appearances.

Despite the disadvantages, Leeds put in a solid effort, scoring through Ash Handley and Cameron Smith in the first half.

Tommy Makinson and Curtis Sironen scoring for the reigning champions.

To add to the drama, back-rower James McDonnell was sent off for punching Jonny Lomax in the dying moments of regular time, while Sione Mata’utia was sent to the sin-bin in extra time for a dangerous tackle. 

Leeds: Myler; Handley, Newman, Macdonald, Olpherts; Gannon, Sezer; Walters, O’Connor, Holroyd, McDonnell, Martin, Smith. Subs: Oledzki, Donaldson, Johnson, Sangare. 18th man: Tindall.

St Helens: Welsby; Makinson, Hurrell, Hopoate, Ritson; Lomax, Dodd; Walmsley, Roby, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Sironen, Batchelor, Bell. Subs: Mata’utia, Lussick, Paasi, Wingfield. 18th man: Bennison.

Huddersfield Giants 20-4 Castleford Tigers

Huddersfield ended their four-match losing streak as they beat Castleford 20-4 at the John Smith’s Stadium.

Cook Islands international Esan Marsters opened the scoring for the Giants before Castleford replied with a try through Alex Mellor.

The Giants were 10-4 ahead at the break thanks to three goals from Jake Connor.

Second half tries from Ireland international Innes Senior and Fiji captain Kevin Naiqama saw Ian Watson’s side finish 20-4 winners against the Tigers, who sit second bottom in the Super League table having won just two from 13 so far this season.

Huddersfield: Lolohea; Senior, Marsters, Naiqama, Bibby; Connor, Fages; Hill, Peats, English, Cudjoe, McQueen, Yates. Subs: O’Brien, Ikahihifo, Rushton, Greenwood. 18th man: Halsall.

Castleford: Widdop; Faraimo, Mellor, Turner, Wallis; Broadbent, Miller; Matagi, McShane, Massey, Edwards, Lawler, Westerman. Subs: Mustapha, Martin, Hall, Watts. 18th man: Robb.

READ NEXT: International double-header confirmed for Headingley Stadium later this year