Warrington Wolves suffer injury blow to captain Stefan Ratchford in Catalans Dragons clash

Drew Darbyshire
Stefan Ratchford Warrington Wolves Alamy

Stefan Ratchford in action for Warrington Wolves

Warrington Wolves were dealt a double injury blow in their 30-10 defeat to Catalans Dragons on Friday night.

Captain Stefan Ratchford left the field in the 12th minute of the match after being caught by an elbow of team-mate George Williams when making a tackle.

Ratchford left the action for a head injury assessment and returned to the field 10 minutes later after passing his HIA.

Sky Sports’ Jon Wells reported that Ratchford had passed his HIA, with the England international returning to the field with what the doctors told Wells was with a bandage covering ’15 to 20 stitches’.

Ratchford played on in the first half but during the half-time coverage, Sky Sports presenter Brian Carney delivered the news that Ratchford would play no further part in the match against the Dragons after the experienced centre was ‘diagnosed with delayed concussion’.

“Not just with the way he plays but his leadership qualities as well so that’s a massive loss for Warrington,” pundit Kevin Brown said of Warrington’s injury blow to Ratchford.

Warrington Wolves prop Gil Dudson fails head injury assessment

The Wolves were dealt a second injury blow in the second half when prop Dudson left the field for a head injury assessment, which he failed.

The Wales international wasn’t able to return to the field, watching the rest of the game from the sidelines.

Warrington don’t have a game next week due to the Challenge Cup final at Wembley, so if Dudson and Ratchford pass their return to play concussion protocols, they could be back in action in the Wire’s next game against Leeds Rhinos on August 20.

Meanwhile, Samoan powerhouse Thomas Mikaele made his second debut for Warrington in their defeat to Catalans after re-joining the club earlier this week on a deal to the end of the season from NRL side Gold Coast Titans.

READ NEXT: Justin Holbrook officially rejects Warrington Wolves; explains how close he came to taking job following new NRL deal