France ban all sporting events until September

France prime minister Edouard Philippe has confirmed the country has banned all sporting events – including behind closed doors – until September. 

The rugby league season in Europe has been suspended indefinitely due to the coronavirus pandemic, while the NRL will restart play on May 28.

Philippe says the 2019-20 sporting season is over in France as he announced plans to ease France’s lockdown on May 11.

This has raised concerns over what French clubs Catalans and Toulouse are going to do if the rugby league season is back up and running before September. The clubs have yet to comment.

Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 – France’s elite football competitions – will not resume and it is not yet known whether the Ligue de Football Professional will choose to abandon the season with no promotion or relegation and no champions.

Earlier this month, the French Rugby League Federation have confirmed they will scrap the 2019-20 season, with no club being awarded the title.

Watch our Last Tackle podcast, featuring a guest, every week. SUBSCRIBE to Love Rugby League on YouTube.

Listen to The Final Hooter podcast, featuring exclusive interviews, every week. SUBSCRIBE to Love Rugby League on Apple Podcasts.


More on site

Expansion into Canada could be game changer for rugby league, says Matt Lewis

North Wales out to surprise teams this year, says Brad Billsborough

Coronavirus could cost rugby league £20m, says Wakefield boss Michael Carter

All Onside with Micky Higham and Paul Wood: Chest and triceps

Sox of the best back-rowers in the NRL at present

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*