Championship 1 round-up


North Wales Crusaders were denied a fairytale resurrection as Barrow came from behind to win 26-24.

The Welsh side, still playing out of the Glyndwr University Racecourse Ground in Wrexham, wanted to begin their new life in winning fashion having impressed throughout their extended pre season fixtures.

Things didn’t get off the best start for the Crusaders when Marc Dixon collected Darren Holt’s cross field kick in the in-goal.

However the Crusaders sparked into life and got on the board just before the quarter of an hour mark. 

Jono Smith broke the Raiders’ line before passing to captain Andy Mousdale.

Jamie Durbin’s solo effort earned his side four points before Rob Massam scored a brace of tries in the final moments of the game to send the Crusaders into half time 20-4 up.

Chris Larkin opened the Raiders’ second half try scoring account before Dan Toal exposed some poor defending from Massam.

Leon Brennan extended Crusaders’ lead after Barrow had cut the deficit, but Danny Hulme coughed up Andy Ballard’s soft kick for Larkin to claim his second try of the afternoon.

Liam Finch won the match for Barrow after Barry Hugh’s break found Larkin in support, and break Welsh hearts.


Oldham came away from Derwent Park with a triumphant 24-14 win despite being behind at half time.

Workington got the first try of the game with a well worked effort from Ryan MacDonald which sent Daniel Rooney in the corner. 

Oldham replied with John Gillam’s try after 25 minutes before Jason Mossop made sure Town went into half time with some distance between the sides.

Oldham were dominant throughout the second half and scored some excellent tries from Miles Greenwood and Mark McCully.

Karl Olstrum brought Town back to within touching distance before Chris Clarke sealed the win for Oldham with three minutes remaining.


Rochdale were comfortable winners at Spotland defeating London Skolars 36-4.

Gary Middlehurst scored a hat trick helping the Hornets on their way to a comfortable victory. 

It was Middlehurst who got the early points on the score board for Rochdale before Wayne English crossed for Rochdale’s second.

London replied through Joe Price but that was all the travelling faithful had to cheer about, as even Dylan Skee missed the conversion.

Paul O’Connor scored the final try before half time, when Middlehurst completed his hat trick while Steve McDermott and Stephen Bannister added to Rochdale’s hefty points total to send them top of Championship 1.


Paul Cooke’s double inspired Doncaster to a solid performance at the Keepmoat Stadium the home side swept away Whitehaven 48-16.

Cooke scored the first and penultimate tries of the game to inspire Doncaster to a comfortable win.

Cooke posted his first try after seven minutes before Brad Crelin replied for the Cumbrians.

Lee Waterman grabbed his first of two tries, and this sparked a broken floodgate in the Whitehaven defence as Kieran Hyde, Kyle Kesik and Tom Hodson all posted tries.

Whitehaven’s second half performance was much better, restricting Doncaster to just three tries in the final 40 and weren’t penetrated until the 52nd minute.

Andreas Bauer crossed for Haven early in the second half and his try was extended by Carl Rudd 19 minutes later.

But Doncaster’s two try due Cooke and Waterman completed their doubles to finish the game for Haven.


Gateshead were narrowly denied their first professional win for two years as they lost 32-30 to South Wales Scorpions.

Ashley Williams put Thunder on the board quickly before a Scorpion reply came in the form of David James.

Nathan Mossop put the Scorpions ahead shortly after but Joe Brown brought the scores back to within two points. 

Rod Peake extended the South Wales side’s lead to beyond a converted try by half time, but Mike Mitchell scored inside the first six minutes for Thunder.

Lewis Reece edged the Scorpions further ahead before Thunder struck back with a triple whammy. 

Brett Waller scored shy of the hour mark before Josh Neilson scored a late double which looked to have sealed the game for Gateshead.

But the Scorpions had other ideas and ruined the north east side’s moment with a late try from Ashley Bateman which secured the win in the final moments.