Warrington 4-0 Hull: Warrington win try-less encounter

Steven Hughes
Stefan Ratchford Warrington

Two penalties from Stefan Ratchford proved crucial for Warrington, as they returned to winning ways at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

Warrington made two changes from the side that was beaten at Wakefield last time out. Toby King and Kyle Amor dropped out, while Peter Mata’utia returned, and James Harrison came onto the bench for his debut in a Wire shirt.

Meanwhile, Hull made four changes to the side that was beaten at Catalans. Carlos Tuimavave, Jordan Johnstone and Josh Griffin came out, as did Josh Reynolds following his departure from the club.  Coming into the side was Mitieli Vulikijapani, Jordan Lane, Jacob Hookem and Scott Taylor.

Match Report

The Black and Whites were dealt a blow early on. Adam Swift hobbled off in the first half after picking up an injury. Brad Fash ended up coming on in his place, with Connor Wynne moving onto the wing and Jordan Lane playing at centre.

Hull almost broke through in what had been a poor half with 25 minutes on the clock. Manu Ma’u got through a gap, and got an offload away to Luke Gale, but he knocked on as he went to put the ball down. He ended up leaving the field for a HIA.

Warrington were then dealt a couple of injury blows of their own. First, Daryl Clark was forced off the pitch for a Head Injury Assessment, and then Joe Philbin had to be helped from the field, not being able to put any weight on his leg after a tackle.

HT- Warrington 0-0 Hull

Warrington were given a boost at the start of the second half. Clark passed his HIA assessment and came back on. However, Gale failed his and did not return for Hull.

Six minutes into the second half, Warrington finally scored the first points of the match. Stefan Ratchford kicked a penalty after Hull were punished for passing the ball after the tackle was complete.

Hull had a golden chance to level the game before the hour. They were awarded a penalty of their own close to the touchline. Darnell McIntosh took it, but his kick went across the face of the posts and didn’t even go dead.

Soon after, Warrington had the chance to score the first try, with Josh Thewlis going over out wide. But referee James Child called the pass to him forward.

Ratchford then added another two points after back-to-back penalties close to the Hull line.

Hull piled on the pressure in the final two minutes, forcing two goal-line drop-outs, but they could not make it count as the kick to the corner went to ground. It meant Warrington won the game without scoring a try.

FT- Warrington 4-0 Hull

Hull FC return to action first, as they welcome Leeds to the MKM Stadium next Saturday. Meanwhile, Warrington remain at the Halliwell Jones Stadium next Sunday, with Salford the visitors.

LOVE RUGBY LEAGUE: Latest News, Podcast, App & Fantasy RL

Team News

Warrington: Widdop, Thewlis, Wrench, Mata’utia, Ashton, Ratchford, Williams, Mulhern, Clark, Cooper, Currie, Holmes, Davis. Subs: Philbin, Walker, Harrison, Mikaele.

Goals: Ratchford 2/2

Hull: Shaul, McIntosh, Vulikijapani, Wynne, Swift, Lovodua, Gale, Evans, Houghton, Satae, Lane, Ma’u, Sao. Hookem, Fash, Brown, Taylor.

Goals: McIntosh 0/1

READ MOREJosh Thewlis commits long-term future to Warrington