Super League round-up: Wins for Leeds, Warrington, Leigh & Catalans

Drew Darbyshire
Harry Newman Leeds Rhinos News Images

Photo: Gareth Evans/News Images

It was an entertaining night of Super League action, which saw Leeds, Warrington, Leigh and Catalans pick up victories in Round 12.

Wigan 40-18 Leeds

It was a game of two halves at the DW Stadium as Leeds came from being 14-6 behind at the break to win 40-18.

Harry Newman (2), Tom Holroyd, Richie Myler, Rhyse Martin and Cam Smith scored for the Rhinos.

Abbas Miski, Bevan French and Iain Thornley went over for Wigan.

Leeds were dealt a double blow in the first half. James Bentley failed a head injury assessment, whilst Zane Tetevano was sent off for a high and late shot on Harry Smith.

Wigan full-back French was sin-binned late on in the game for holding down for too long in a tackle.

It was a sensational second half display for the Rhinos, and a completely different showing from Wigan compared to what they produced in the first half. Leeds finished 40-18 winners at the DW.

Wigan: French; Miski, King, Wardle, Thornley; Shorrocks, Smith, Havard, Powell, Byrne, Isa, Farrell, Smithies. Subs: Cust, Pearce-Paul, Mago, O’Neill. 18th player: Hampshire.

Leeds: Handley; Macdonald, Newman, Martin, Tindall; Austin, Myler, Oledzki, O’Connor, Lisone, Tetevano, Bentley, Smith. Subs: Donaldson, Holroyd, Gannon, Sangare. 18th player: Johnson.

Warrington 21-14 Hull KR

It was late heartbreak for Hull KR as Warrington fought back from 12-0 behind to claim a 21-14 win at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

Tries through Ethan Ryan and Kane Linnett saw Willie Peters’ side take a 12-0 lead in the opening 20, with Mikey Lewis taking the kicking duties with Jordan Abdull, Lachlan Coote and Rowan Milnes sidelined through respective injuries.

Warrington looked sloppy in attack until Matt Dufty was introduced into the action from the bench for Josh Thewlis, who was given the nod over the Australian to start the game at full-back.

Josh McGuire scored his first in Warrington colours just before the half-time break to give his side some hope, grounding a grubber kick from Danny Walker.

Matt Parcell left the field in the first half and did not return which saw Sam Wood come onto the field and into the halves, with Jez Litten moved to nine.

And the outside-back was beaten by Ben Currie early on in the second 40 to level the scores at 12-12, with Stefan Ratchford converting both tries.

Lewis made it 14-12 with a penalty conversion, before Ratchford once again levelled up the game with a penalty of his own.

It was neck and neck as Lewis missed another penalty, hitting the post, before Ratchford gave his side their first lead of the game after Hull KR were pinned for a high shot on 69 minutes.

England international Matty Ashton then crossed for a vital score in the corner with eight minutes on the clock, before George Williams cemented the win with a drop-goal on 75 minutes for a full-time score of 21-14.

Warrington: Thewlis; Russell, Mata’utia, Ratchford, Ashton; Williams, Drinkwater; Bullock, Walker, Vaughan, Currie, McGuire, Harrison. Subs: Dufty, Clark, Kasiano, Philbin. 18th player: Green.

Hull KR: Ryan; Kenny-Dowall, Opacic, C Hall, R Hall; Lewis, Litten; Hadley, Parcell, King, Batchelor, Linnett, Minchella. Subs: Sue, Kennedy, Wood, Luckley. 18th player: Storton.

Castleford 22-46 Catalans

Catalans enjoyed a comfortable 46-22 win over Castleford at The Jungle.

Jordan Dezaria, Adam Keighran (2), Matt Ikuvalu, Tom Johnstone, Ben Garcia, Matt Whitley and Sam Tomkins got on the scoresheet for the Dragons.

The Tigers didn’t throw the towel in and came up with a couple of late tries but the game had already gone by that point.

Castleford: Evalds; Faraimo, Broadbent, Mellor, Wallis; Widdop, Miller; Lawler, McShane, Massey, Milner, Griffin, Westerman. Subs: Matagi, Hall, Watts, Johnson. 18th player: Robb.

Catalans: Mourgue; Romano, Ikuvalu, Keighran, Johnstone; Tomkins, Pearce; McMeeken, McIlorum, Dezaria, Seguier, Whitley, Garcia. Subs: Bousquet, Goudemand, Navarrete, Ma’u. 18th player: Chan.

Huddersfield 4-30 Leigh

Leigh showed their play-off credentials with an impressive 30-4 victory over Huddersfield at the John Smith’s Stadium – their fourth win in a row.

The Leopards led at 12-0 at half-time before going on to score 18 more points in the second 40.

Ben Reynolds racked up a tally of 14 points having scored a try and kicked five goals, whilst in-form winger Josh Charnley bagged a brace. Lachlan Lam and Joe Mellor got Leigh’s other tries.

Huddersfield: Lolohea; Cudjoe, Marsters, Naiqama, Bibby; Connor, Rush; Hill, O’Brien, Wilson, McQueen, Hewitt, Yates. Subs: Peats, Ikahihifo, Rushton, English. 18th player: Pryce.

Leigh: O’Brien; Briscoe, Leutele, Hardaker, Charnley; Reynolds, Lam; Amone, Ipape, Mulhern, Holmes, O’Donnell, Asiata. Subs: Mellor, Seumanufagai, Nakubuwai, Davis. 18th player: Nathan Wilde.

READ NEXT: Reserves match abandoned due to injury to Leeds player