National Conference League Round-up

Premier Division round-up

THATTO HEATH CRUSADERS clinched the NCL Minor Premiership thanks to a 42-24 final day win over YORK ACORN.

The St Helens side were locked in a three-way tie with Wath Brow Hornets and Lock Lane, but a better point’s difference by just a single point meant they finished on top of the pile by the smallest of margins.

Despite already been relegated the visitors gave a good account of themselves as they registered tries to Joel Johnson, Ash Robson (2), Tom Hill and Dan Barker, with Antony Chilton adding a couple of conversions.

However, after building a 30-12 half-time lead, Thatto finished the afternoon with an eight try display. Jack Jones led the way with a brace, whilst Ryan Heaton, Shaun Quinn – who also landed five goals – Adam Walsh, Kieron Maddocks, Chris Frodsham and Lewis Foster also touched down.

WATH BROW HORNETS produced a remarkable display to run in 15 tries in an 84-6 hammering of LEIGH MINERS RANGERS.

Karl Dixon helped himself to a hat-trick and Scott Pink a 32-point haul – two tries and 12 goals – as the champions ran riot.

Fran King, Peter Bewsher, Ryan Doran, Jamie Devine, Liam Martin (2), Phil Coyles, Charlie Tomlinson (2) and Peter Caddy also crossed the whitewash to claim the points and give the Hornets a week off in the play-offs.

Scott O’Brien grabbed Miners only try in the opening exchanges and Josh Ward improved it.

EAST HULL couldn’t stop LOCK LANE running out 40-16 at Rosmead Street.

Craig Duncan and Luke Tagg both scored twice for the visitors as Jimmy Cryer, Chris Siddons, Adam Garlick and Phil Lythe also added their named to the score sheet and Cryer (3) and Garlick added the extras.

Easts only trailed 14-10 at the break and recorded tries from Carl Puckering – who also kicked two goals – Lee Hall and Jamie Edwards.

EGREMONT RANGERS clinched the final play-off spot despite going down 40-18 at SIDDAL.

The home side – who finished in fifth – did most of the damage in the first half as they raced into a 28-4 lead.

Gareth Blackburn was again in the points as he crossed for two tries and slotted over six goals, whilst Shaun Garrod, Steven Hope and Lee Greenwood all scored in the first forty, before Steven Hope and Nick Smith both touched down after the break to make the points safe.

Rhys Davies, Jack Stainton (2) and Peter Murphy replied for the Cumbrian’s, with Matthew Bewsher adding a goal.

WIGAN ST PATRICKS chances of gate-crashing the top-six were ended with a 26-2 home defeat to WEST HULL.

The hosts had just a penalty from Brad Smith to show for their efforts and it was never going to be enough to halt the play-off bound Wests.

A try from Matt Plummer meant the visitors enjoyed a slender 4-2 half-time advantage, but further efforts from Aaron Hickingbotham, Ryan Morrow, James Jackson and Tom Radley – plus goals from Scott Spaven and Josh Hart (2) – made the game safe.

Saturday October 19

East Hull 16 v 40 Lock Lane

Siddal 40 v 18 Egremont Rangers

Thatto Heath Crusaders 42 v 24 York Acorn

Wath Brow Hornets 84 v 6 Leigh Miners Rangers

Wigan St Patricks 2 v 26 West Hull

Division One round-up

EAST LEEDS secured the Division One title thanks to a comfortable 56-6 win over ECCLES.

The Manchester side had no answer to the home sides pace and power and they’re only success came when Mike Carney converted a first half effort from winger Mike McGrath.

Mark Greenwood, Ross Meston and Dec Tomlinson all scored and along with the first two of Nathan Conroy’s eight-goal haul it meant it was 16-6 at the break.

Greenwood, Joey Walkin, Jack Ely (2), Jack Norfolk, John Carter and James Forsell added second half efforts as Easts passed the half-century mark.

STANLEY RANGERS secured a third straight win following a 30-18 success at DEWSBURY CELTIC.

Danny Grice played a leading role with two tries and three goals, whilst Oliver Wood, Charlie Ellis, David Findlay and Mufaroo Mvududu also got in on the act.

Celtic responded with touchdowns from Danny Crabtree, Danny Lee and Pat Foulstone, plus three Tommy Harrington conversions.

HUNSLET WARRIORS booked their place in the Premier Division next year with a 66-8 demolition of MILLOM.

The Cumbrian’s headed home with just tries to Ricky Donoghue and Josh Banham to show for their efforts, meanwhile the home side raced in for 11 tries, each of which was converted by Gary McClleland.

McClleland also helped himself to a four-try haul as Daryl Gaunt and Mark Cunningham both grabbed a brace to underline the Warriors dominance.

James Baker, Jake Corney and Caldon Bravo efforts completed the job.

SADDLEWORTH RANGERS finished their season on a high thanks to a 26-24 victory over MILFORD MARLINS.

The win – just their sixth of the campaign – lifts them off the foot of the table and was made possible thanks to tries from Marlon Miller, Danny Bowker, Bowden Morgan and Michael Coates – who also landed five goals.

In a game that went one way and then the other the visitors also registered four tries courtesy of Marc Gibson (2), Josh Parle and John Elkington.

Crucially however, Martin Loveridge only had four shots at goal.

Joe Qauninci and Lewis Sheridan both helped themselves to four tries as ROCHDALE MAYFIELD crushed WIGAN ST JUDES 88-6.

Sheridan also landed 10 goals to complete a great afternoon’s work whilst Adie Gleeson’s two goals rubbed further salt into the home side’s wounds.

Jack Sampson, Todd O’Brien, Matt Calland, Paul Brearley, Nick Hargreaves, Liam Whalley and Declan Sheridan also touched down in the one-sided contest, with Tye Fordes try and Daryl King’s conversion a mere consolation.

Saturday October 19

Dewsbury Celtic 18 v 30 Stanley Rangers

East Leeds 56 v 6 Eccles

Hunslet Warriors 66 v 8 Millom

Saddleworth Rangers 26 v 24 Milford Marlins

Wigan St Judes 6 v 88 Rochdale Mayfield

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.