George Burgess: St George Illawarra issue fresh statement ahead of Sharks clash

Michael Holland
George Burgess England PA

St George Illawarra have on Tuesday issued a statement confirming George Burgess has been named in their 24-man squad to face the Cronulla Sharks.

The England international is reported to have been interviewed by police over an alleged sexual touching incident in Sydney.

The Dragons confirmed on Monday they were aware of the allegations. And issued a statement saying they were “working closely with all parties”.

That continues to be the case but they have yet to receive all the information they need. With that in mind the Dragons have opted to name Burgess in their squad.

St George Ilawarra welcome Craig Fitzgibbon’s Sharks side to Netstrata Jubilee Stadium on Thursday night. As things stand Burgess is available for coach Anthony Griffin to select him.

George Burgess Statement

The Dragons issued the following statement on the club’s official website:

St George Illawarra will name George Burgess in the Dragons’ 24-man squad for Thursday night’s Round 3 clash against the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks.

The Dragons are yet to receive the necessary and required information pertaining to the Burgess matter and therefore cannot come to a decision on the player’s availability for Round 3.

The NRL’s stringent team selection process requires the Dragons to select a 24-man squad on Tuesday afternoon.

The Dragons will continue to work closely with all relevant parties, including the NRL integrity unit and police, to determine the next steps surrounding this matter.”

Injury-free Burgess

The 29-year-old has been looking to get his career back on track in the NRL. He returned down under following an injury-hit spell in Super League with Wigan.

The England ace had an impressive pre-season with the Dragons and looks to have put his injury issues behind him.

Burgess made his Dragons debut in the loss the Penrith Panthers in round two

The Dragons have made a solid start to the season, beating the Warriors in round one. They then fought back well against Penrith before going down 20-16.