St Helens star Faye Gaskin off to Wembley two years after being told she may never play again: ‘It’s a dream come true’

Drew Darbyshire
Faye Gaskin St Helens Alamy

Faye Gaskin in action for St Helens

Two years ago, St Helens star Faye Gaskin was told she may never play again after suffering a freak injury – but now she’s off to Wembley.

The England international suffered a freak injury as she celebrated a try in their win over York in the Women’s Challenge Cup final in 2021.

Gaskin fractured her lateral tibial plateau in three places and missed the back end of the 2021 season and the entire 2022 campaign as she went through the process of rehabilitation – even being told by surgeons that there was a chance may she never take to the field again.

However, the 31-year-old half-back show desire and determination to come back and she did earlier this season with her beloved Saints.

And on Saturday afternoon, she kicked a last-minute drop goal to send her side to the Challenge Cup final at Wembley as they beat York 17-16 in the semi-finals at the Halliwell Jones Stadium in Warrington.

Speaking to the BBC after the game, Gaksin said: “It’s crazy to think two years ago I had that injury, last year I commentated with you guys and today we’re going to Wembley after that drop goal…

“It’s a dream come true and it couldn’t be written any better for me today so I’m over the moon.”

Faye Gaskin on holding her nerve to deliver the clutch play

Gaskin showed no signs of nerves as she slotted the one-pointer straight through sticks to send Matty Smith’s side to the Challenge Cup final – the first year the women’s final has been staged at Wembley.

She added: “Matty said this week that he wanted me to practice (drop goals) but I was like ‘no Matty, just trust me, if it comes to it then I’ll do it, just have a bit of faith’.

“It came on the back of a really slow play the ball so I was like ‘what’s actually happening here?’ and then I just looked at the sticks and thought ‘trust yourself’. I’ve put a lot of work into building this leg back up and fortunately it went over.

“At first I was thinking ‘are we going to crash it in?’ or ‘are we going for another set again?’ but it was fifth and last and you just know once it comes off your boot whether it’s going over or not.

“I then looked at the clock and there was 47 seconds left so Jodie (Cunningham) was like ‘calm down, calm down!’. It came off my boot pretty sweet so I’m made up with that.”

St Helens will meet the winners of tomorrow’s second semi-final between Wigan and Leeds at Wembley on August 12.

READ NEXT: Faye Gaskin produces stunning clutch play to St Helens to Challenge Cup final at Wembley