Co-operative Championship 1 Round-up


Swinton Lions completed an impressive 46-26 away victory over Rochdale Hornets in a game which seen the sides share 13 tries.

Rochdale opened the scoring through stand-off Dale Bloomfield in the eighth minute but their early impetus was cancelled out by Swinton’s Dean Thompson minutes later.

Bloomfield’s second restored the lead for the Hornets after before Swinton scored five tries without reply to open up a 24 point lead within the first ten minutes of the second half.

Rochdale responded to the barrage, scoring three tries within the next ten minutes to bring the score back to within one converted try at 32-26 but it was Swinton who finished the game in the ascendency with Dale Cuncliffe and Gavin Dodd both scoring in the final ten minutes to leave the score 46-26.

Whitehaven RLFC withstood a late onslaught to hang on and record a 22-18 over South Wales Scorpions.

Whitehaven looked to be easing to a comfortable 22-6 victory going into the last ten minutes of the game after scores from Carl Rudd, Craig Calvert, Carl Slice and David Ford had opened up significant gap between the sides.

However, a final flurry from the Scorpions saw Joe Burke score twice inside the final 5 minutes to give the home side a glimmer of hope but Whitehaven managed to withstand the barrage and seal the three points.

Keighley Cougars outscored Gateshead Thunder by 8 tries to two during their 44-10 victory over the home side.

It took Keighley’s Olly Pursglove just two minutes to put the first points of the match on the score board and the Cougars added six more tries in the opening half to take a 38-0 half time lead.

Micky Ward opened the scoring for Gateshead in the 60th minute with Joe Brown adding another only five minutes later but that was as good as it got for Thunder before James Feather completed the scoring for Keighley inside the final ten minutes.

Doncaster RLFC defeated London Skolars 42-22 to keep up their unbeaten league record.

The Skolars had raced out to 16-6 lead after only 15 minutes before Doncaster stepped up a gear to score six tries without response and ease into a 42-16 lead.

London’s Austin Aggrey scored a fourth of the game for the Skolars in the 73rd minute but they couldn’t close the wide margin the Dons had opened up.

Workington Town recorded their first competitive win in five games following a 31-12 victory over Oldham Roughyeds.

Workington went into the interval leading 12-0 courtesy of unconverted tries from Jason Mossop, Aaron Low and Neil Frazer with Frazer adding a second minutes into the second half.

It took Oldham until the 57th minute to get onto the scoreboard through second row Ben Wood with hooker John Clough getting a second for the Roughyeds minutes before the final whistle but it was Workington’s Marc Bainbridge who had the final say in the game, scoring in the last minute to complete the scoring.

Championship One Results

South Wales 18 – Whitehaven 22
Gateshead 10 – Keighley 44
London 22 – Doncaster 42
Rochdale 26 – Swinton 46
Workington 31 – Oldham 12



Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.