Catalans end losing streak

Catalans Dragons ended a run of six consecutive defeats with a 26-10 win over the Widnes Vikings to keep in touch with St Helens in the race for the top four.

The Vikings started brightly and had two tries disallowed by the video referee in the first five minutes, first when Jack Buchanan just missed his own kick to the in goal area. The when Stefan Marsh was adjudged to have knocked on when going up for the ball with Fouad Yaha.

But it was the Dragons who opened the scoring half way into the first half, after Jodie Broughton picked up the ball as Widnes were attacking their line, and ran all the way to score despite the best efforts of Joe Mellor.

Thomas Bosc missed the conversion but the Dragons still had a four-point lead.

Justin Horo then took advantage after Corey Thompson failed to take in a kick from Bosc and as the ball trickled behind the posts, Horo managed to get a hand on it.

Bosc was successful with his conversion to extend the Catalans lead to 10 points nd this was the way it stayed heading into half-time.

Widnes then scored the first try of the second half, the least their early efforts deserved as Matt Whiteley collected a kick from Kevin Brown and he managed to touch down before he ran out of play.

Lloyd White was successful with the conversion to reduce their deficit to four.

But from the kick off, Thompson’s handling let him down again as he fumbled the kick off. From the resulting scrum, after a few tackles, the Dragons managed to put the young winger Yaha in the corner.

Bosc was successful with the conversion to re-establish the 10-point lead the Dragons had earlier.

Yaha then got a second try to all but secure the game for the Dragons after a fantastic kick into the corner from Bosc left the 19-year-old in acres of space and he managed to get the ball down on the bounce.

Yaha then completed his hat -rick with an almost identical try to his second, this time he took in a great pass from Vincent Duport to go over in the corner.

With Bosc off the field due to a knee injury, Todd Carney took over the kicking duties but he couldn’t add to the score as he dragged his kick along the face of the posts.

Paddy Ah Van then pulled another try back for the Vikings to give them the last word, after Dave Taylor was punished for a late hit and from the resulting penalty. Kevin Brown’s looping pass put the winger in on the touchline.

White was unsuccessful with his conversion attempt, meaning the score was reduced to 26-10.

This result effectively wrote off any chance the Vikings have of advancing to the semi-finals whilst the Dragons stay two points behind St Helens, who currently occupy the fourth semi-final position.

The Dragons travel to St Helens next Friday in what will be a big game that could help decide who the fourth spot goes to, while Widnes welcome leaders Hull FC on Thursday.



Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.