Wolves batter Broncos in World Club Series


Warrington have become the first English side to triumph in the World Club Series with an enthralling 27-18 victory against Brisbane at the Haliwell Jones Stadium.

Since the competition was expanded in 2015 no British club had won a match, with the series 6-0 in favour to the Australian teams. But Warrington have bucked that trend with a special performance.

The Wolves made a quick fire start, Kevin Brown scoring a debut try for the Wire inside two minutes after a break and charge down from Joe Westerman. Declan Patton nailed the conversion to give Warrington a 6-0 lead.

Patton then kicked a penalty between the sticks just a short while after to continue the positive opening period for Tony Smith’s men.

A quarter of an hour gone and Brown was involved in Warrington’s second try, the halfback putting in Ryan Atkins over on the far side.

On debut for Warrington, Brown made it a first game to remember.

As the half progressed Brisbane were still struggling to build any sort of momentum, David Mead fumbling Brown’s kick before Matty Russell dived across moments later.

Patton continued his 100% kicking record to give the Wire a commanding 20-0 lead inside the opening quarter.

Then Oates opened the scoring for the Broncos, taking Anthony Milford’s pass and evading the chasing Russell to dive across after a smart chip over the tip.

After a brief spell of Broncos pressure near the Warrington line, Lineham added his name to the scoresheet two minutes before the interval to leave the Broncos trailing by 18 points.

The Wire were in command 24-6 at half-time.

Just as the Wolves had started quick out the blocks in the first half it was the Broncos who opened the scoring in the second, James Roberts easing through the Warrington line before scoring a length-of-the-field try.

Nicknamed ‘ Jimmy the Jet’, Roberts showed a clean pair of heels.

As the game entered the final quarter, Patton ensured the scoreboard was still very much in the home side’s favour with a drop goal to see the Wolves lead 25-12.

The Warrington-born halfback notched up a further two points for his side with another penalty entering the final quarter of an hour.

Mead cut the Wolves’ lead to nine points with eight minutes left, grounding the ball after Lineham failed to deal with Darius Boyd’s kick.

But it was not enough as Warrington notched a famous victory and one that gives all of Super League a solid boost.