Wigan Warriors fans have weighed in on the future of out-of-contract forward Patrick Mago following his impressive performance in the win over Catalans.
The 28-year-old is entering the final few months of his initial two-year deal – with the option of a third season.
Mago has made 19 Super League appearances in the current campaign but is arguably enjoying his finest stint of the year. Furthermore, he enjoyed one of his best performances in the 34-0 victory in Perpignan to help close the gap at the top of the Super League table.
In his debut Wigan season, Mago featured 31 times, crossing for one try, and came on from the interchange bench during the Challenge Cup victory over Huddersfield at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
In recent weeks, the forward has produced performances that has included more than 100 metres in carries on four occasions, having only reached that feat twice earlier in the season.
He recorded eight tackle busts against Steve McNamara’s Dragons, while wins over Hull FC and Hull KR have seen the New Zealand-born prop take 17 carries, only bettered once in the season against Wakefield (19).
Mago’s average gain has also increased in the last five weeks – 7.6 in the first 14 games compared to nine in the last five – but it was the performance against Catalans that got fans talking with the his future yet to be confirmed.
Wigan Warriors Fans posted on Twitter: “Excellent performance! Both halves were strong but you have to credit the pack for getting them in good position and dominating the opposition. Dupree has made a big difference, as has the supercharger we’ve added to Paddy Mago.”
One response said: “Mago looks a new man.”
Another Wigan fan account wrote: “Can’t believe I’m saying this after his start to the season but give Mago a new contract.”
Excellent performance! Both halves were strong but you have to credit the pack for getting them in good position and dominating the opposition. Dupree has made a big difference, as has the supercharger we've added to Paddy Mago.
— Wigan Warriors Fans (@wiganrugbyfans) August 26, 2023
Patrick Mago future as prop shines in recent weeks
Mago spoke with Love Rugby League about his future earlier in May, insisting he still had more to offer with his performances at the time.
He has since showed examples of that, while the Warriors have already added duo Sam Walters and Tiaki Chan to their pack for 2024. Highly-rated Tyler Dupree also made the recent switch from Salford in a deal that saw Brad Singleton head the other direction.
Mago said that he had held discussions with head coach Matt Peet about his future in May, with an announcement imminent as the season closes in on the play-offs.
“We’ve had chats and that. Hopefully we can get something sorted out for next year, but I’m focussing on playing my best footy and putting my best foot forward,” Mago previously told Love Rugby League.
“Wigan is such a big club with such big history and it’s such a successful club as well.
“I know a lot of players would love to be here at Wigan and I’m loving my time here. If the opportunity arises to stay, I’ll have a chat with my management team about it.
“I’ve enjoyed my time here as well and I know a lot of people that have been here and people that want to stay here. It’s a successful team, so who doesn’t want to be a part of that?”
Overseas duo Willie Isa and Cade Cust also remain without deals beyond the current campaign.