Wigan 4-8 St Helens: Jack Welsby winner sees Saints crowned Super League champions

Drew Darbyshire

A try from Jack Welsby in the last play of the game saw St Helens seal an 8-4 win against Wigan in the 2020 Super League Grand Final. 

Retiring St Helens prop James Graham passed concussion protocols to be named in Kristian Woolf’s starting line-up after picking up a head knock in their semi-final win over Catalans last week.

Wigan coach Adrian Lam made two changes to his side that beat Hull last time out. Sam Powell and Joe Greenwood came in for Harry Smith and Ben Flower, while retiring captain Sean O’Loughlin was named on the bench.

Both sides showed tremendous defence in the first half, with St Helens making the most of field position but Wigan centre Zak Hardaker came close to scoring when he was held up over the line.

It was Saints who went into the break 2-0 up though thanks to a Lachlan Coote penalty goal.

Jake Bibby scored the game’s first try in the 66th minute as the Wigan winger flew over in the corner to edge his side into a 4-2 lead.

Coote added a penalty goal in the 73rd minute to level the score and set up a nervy finish.

Wigan had a chance to seal the victory two minutes from time but Hardaker couldn’t add a penalty goal from long range.

Saints raced up the other end of the field of the field and a drop goal attempt from Tommy Makinson rattled the post, bounced back out and Welsby collected the ball to touch down and seal an 8-4 victory for Saints.

Wigan: French; Bibby, Hardaker, Gildart, J Burgess; Leuluai, Hastings; Bullock, Powell, Singleton, Isa, Farrell, Partington. Subs: Clubb, Greenwood, O’Loughlin, Smithies.

Tries: Bibby Goals: Hardaker 0/2

St Helens: Coote; Makinson, Naiqama, Welsby, Grace; Lomax, Fages; Walmsley, Roby, Graham, Taia, Bentley, Knowles. Subs: Peyroux, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Lees, Amor.

Tries: Welsby Goals: Coote 2/2

Listen to The Final Hooter podcast, featuring exclusive interviews, every week. SUBSCRIBE to Love Rugby League on Apple Podcasts.