Warrington Wolves dealt injury blow in Wigan Warriors clash

Drew Darbyshire
Joe Philbin Warrington Wolves

Joe Philbin in action for Warrington Wolves

Warrington Wolves were dealt an injury blow in their clash with Wigan Warriors, with forward Joe Philbin failing a head injury assessment.

The 28-year-old left the field for a head injury assessment on the hour mark following a collision with Wigan forward Kai Pearce-Paul in a tackle.

Philbin, who has represented England and Ireland on the international stage, was unable to return to the field after failing his HIA.

As a result, the Wolves had to play the remaining 34 minutes with one less sub.

Warrington don’t have a game next weekend due to the Challenge Cup semi-finals taking place, so should Philbin pass his return to play concussion protocol, he would be available to play in their next game against Wakefield on Sunday, July 30.

Warrington Wolves go down to defeat at Wigan Warriors

Wigan returned to winning ways with a 26-12 win over Warrington in Round 19 of Super League at the DW Stadium.

It was a dream start from Warrington, who scored inside six minutes through James Harrison, with Stefan Ratchford converting.

Wigan got their first points on the board in the 27th minute when Bevan French got a superb pass away to Liam Marshall who raced over.

Warrington went back in front on the half hour mark thanks to a smart dummy half burst from Daryl Clark.

The score was tied at 12-12 at the break, with French scoring from a classy last tackle play in the 37th minute.

A penalty goal from Harry Smith edged the Warriors into a 14-12 lead in the 46th minute, with Warrington losing Philbin just minutes later.

Matt Peet’s side extended their lead in the 48th minute thanks to Jake Wardle, with Smith’s conversion making it 20-12.

And Wigan wrapped the game up 10 minutes from time when Jai Field found the supporting Liam Farrell who sealed a 26-12 win for the hosts.

READ NEXT: Warrington Wolves coach Daryl Powell confirms minor injury blow to star performer