Wakefield 6-46 St Helens

Two tries from Kyle Eastmond and Jamie Foster inspired St Helens to 46 point romp at the Rapid Solicitors Stadium.


Wakefield had no reply to Saints’ dominance until the 75th minute when Aaron Murphy crossed for the home team. But by then the damage to the Wakefield fan’s morale was beyond repair for yet another week.


But Saints’ coach Royce Simmons was far from happy with his team’s performance. He described the match as: “One of the worst games of rugby league I have seen in my life.”


Despite the visiting team almost reaching 50 points, many critics would struggle to disagree with Simmons’ comment. Especially when his side only scored 12 points in the second half after running out comfortable 34-0 leaders at half time.


Eastmond was the first to cross for the away team. He was quick enough to support James Roby after he made the initial break coming off the back of a Tony Puletua offload.


Jamie Foster doubled St Helens’ lead converting his own try in the corner. After some scrappy passing moves Francis Meli assisted the 20 year-old to his 14th try of the season.


Wilkin collected an offload from Jonny Lomax to score his third try of the year, before a sense of déjà vu captivated the Wakefield crowd.


Eastmond collected an offload when Saints made a break to score next to the posts, and Foster scored his second try in the corner after Meli fed the young winger after some more disorganised team play.


At 28-0 the half looked all but over. But as the hooter sounded Foster broke down the left side of the field and found Lomax who was in assistance to give the Saints a deserving 34 point half time lead.


But the second half started slowly for both teams. It took Saints 12 minutes to post the first try of the half, but not for the lack of trying. Multiple errors from both teams prevented any scores until Meli’s jagged solo run evaded nearly every single Wakefield defender.


Five minutes later Chris Flannery completed the scoring for Saints with over 20 minutes remaining on the clock.


With Saints taking their foot off the gas, it finally rewarded Wakefield when Aaron Murphy finally gave his supporters something to cheer about with less than five minutes on the clock.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.