Wakefield 12-14 Huddersfield: Giants end winless run

Steven Hughes
Ricky Leutele Huddersfield

Huddersfield overturned an eight-point deficit at half-time to beat Wakefield Trinity at the Be Well Support Stadium.

The Giants ended their three-match run without a win. They had previously drawn against Leeds, and lost against St Helens and Warrington.

As for Wakefield, they have now lost their fifth match in a row. They last won at the start of the month against Salford.

The hosts made three changes to the side that was beaten at Hull KR last Saturday. Brad Walker, Eddie Battye and Yusuf Aydin all come out of the squad. Trinity welcomed back David Fifita, as well as Harry Bowes and Jai Whitbread.

Meanwhile, Huddersfield made four changes to the side beaten at Warrington. Tui Lolohea, Jack Cogger and Chris Hill were all missing through suspension, while Jermaine McGillvary withdrew through illness. Replacing them in the team were Leroy Cudjoe, Theo Fages, Matty English and Owen Trout.

Match Report

Wakefield thought they had struck first early on, as Tom Johnstone managed to get his acrobatic effort onto the line. However, it was disallowed when video replays showed a foot in touch.

However, they broke the deadlock soon after. Mason Lino got the ball from Jay Pitts, threw a dummy and managed to get the ball down, despite the best efforts of Ashton Golding to hold him up. Lino then converted his own try to give Trinity a six-point lead.

Huddersfield managed to respond just before the half-hour. Chris McQueen managed to spin out of a tackle and get over the line. Olly Russell missed the conversion from out wide, meaning Huddersfield still trailed by two points.

With the last play of the first half, the hosts managed to edge further in front. Huddersfield allowed Reece Lyne’s kick to bounce, and the ball found its way to Lewis Murphy, who stepped around the defence and finished by the posts. Lino added the conversion.

HT- Wakefield 12-4 Huddersfield

Huddersfield managed to get themselves back into the game six minutes into the second half. Luke Yates took in a short ball from Theo Fages and went through the defence to score. Russell was on target with the conversion to bring the Giants back within two points.

Just past the hour, Huddersfield completed the turnaround. Fages aimed a grubber kick towards the in-goal area, and Ricky Leutele got there first to score. Russell could not convert, but they led by two points.

The Giants would be able to hold on to a much-needed victory. Next week, they face Hull KR at Elland Road in the semi-finals of the Challenge Cup.

As for Wakefield, they have a week off before they make the journey to the south of France to take on Toulouse.

FT- Wakefield 12-14 Huddersfield

Team News

Wakefield: Jowitt, Murphy, Lyne, Hall, Johnstone, Miller, Lino, Tanginoa, Bowes, Arona, Ashurst, Pitts, Batchelor. Subs: Fifita, Whitbread, Kay, Crowther.

Tries: Lino, Murphy

Goals: Lino 2/2

Huddersfield: Golding, Wardle, Cudjoe, Leutele, Senior, Fages, Russell, English, Levi, Wilson, Ashworth, McQueen, Yates. Subs: Lawrence, Jones, Greenwood, Trout.

Tries: McQueen, Yates, Leutele

Goals: Russell 1/3

Read MoreInnes Senior commits long-term future to Huddersfield Giants