The Championship Chat: The Qualifiers Round 6

Robins win despite tough Fev challenge
Hull Kingston Rovers beat Featherstone Rovers 32-24 at the Big Fellas Stadium on Sunday. The Robins had developed a 20-point lead during the final quarter but a Misi Taulapapa brace got Featherstone back to within two scores of their Super League counterparts. James Webster’s men were 16-12 up at the break after a double from Josh Mantellato and a lone score courtesy of Shaun Lunt. Josh Walters and James Duckworth were the try-scorers for the hosts. Thomas Minns bagged himself two tries in quick succession before James Greenwood also got on the scoresheet for Hull KR, who looked to be running away with the game. However, Taulapapa scored twice in five minutes to set up a nervy finish but the Championship club couldn’t cut the deficit further.

Leigh go top after win over Batley
Leigh Centurions got the better of Batley Bulldogs on Saturday afternoon, a day before Leeds Rhinos lost against Huddersfield Giants which now sees the Centurions go into round seven at the top of the table. The Centurions had a 24-12 lead at half-time thanks to tries from Fuifui Moimoi, Adam Higson, Cory Paterson and Lewis Foster. Dave Scott and Alistair Leak both crossed the whitewash for Batley. The second half saw the hosts notch another three tries to their tally while the Bulldogs went over twice. Travis Burns, Willie Tonga and Dayne Weston all touched down for Leigh, Keegan Hirst and Wayne Reittie replied with four pointers of their own for the West Yorkshire club.

Broncos stun Salford

London Broncos caused the shock of round six by beating Salford Red Devils 19-16 at the AJ Bell Stadium. The capital club were 10-6 up at the interval due to tries from William Barthau and Scott Leatherbarrow. George Griffin grabbed Salford’s lone try of the first period. The second period saw Jamie Soward take over for the Broncos as he scored a try before kicking a penalty and a drop goal. Josh Griffin cut the deficit to just three points by the end of the tie as he scored a quick brace in the dying embers of the game but London held on for a great win.

Giants secure important victory over Leeds
Huddersfield Giants kept their hopes of automatic qualification to Super League alive with a 22-14 victory against Leeds Rhinos. Rick Stone’s men kept their opponents to a first half blank as they went into the sheds after the first 40 minutes with a 14-0 advantage. Leroy Cudjoe and Ryan Brierley scored the tries for Huddersfield, either side of a Danny Brough penalty goal. Leeds outscored Huddersfield three tries to one in the second half but the Giants had enough in the tank to see the game out. Brough extended the hosts’ lead on 47 minutes with a four-pointer before Adam Cuthbertson, Tom Briscoe and Ash Handley all crossed the chalk for Leeds. Brough also kicked a penalty goal nine minutes from time to stem the tide.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.