St Helens 22-4 Wigan: Champions Saints march on at top of Super League

Drew Darbyshire
Tommy Makinson St Helens SWpix

Tommy Makinson in ation for St Helens | Photo: Alex Whitehead/SWpix

Champions St Helens went clear of rivals Wigan at the top of the Super League table with a 22-4 Good Friday win in front of a sold-out crowd.

Saints, who have won three Grand Finals in a row, have gone two points clear of Wigan and Catalans in the table.

A sell-out crowd of 17,980 watched on as Saints claimed the bragging rights over arch rivals Wigan at the Totally Wicked Stadium.

Kristian Woolf made three changes to his side that beat Catalans Dragons in the Challenge Cup last week. Scotland international James Bell was handed his debut, whilst Jon Bennison and Jake Wingfield came in. The trio replaced Will Hopoate (injury), Curtis Sironen (suspended) and Dan Norman.

Wigan coach Matt Peet made two changes to his side that knocked Wakefield out of the Challenge Cup last time out. Lebanon international Abbas Miski came in for just his second appearance in a Warriors shirt. Willie Isa also returned, with the pair replacing Iain Thornley (injured) and Zak Hardaker (dropped).

The Warriors came close to scoring in the first minute but Liam Farrell failed to collect a poor pass from Jake Bibby.

St Helens pair Konrad Hurrell and Joe Batchelor were denied by the video referee in the first quarter.

It was Wigan who drew first blood. A flat ball inside to Jai Field from Tommy Leuluai allowed Field to show his speed and go round opposite number Jack Welsby to score.

Saints soon hit back though thanks to an acrobatic finish from Tommy Makinson in the corner.

The hosts went in front for the first time in the game in the 34th minute. Jonny Lomax showed sublime support play to edge his side ahead. Makinson’s conversion was good.

Saints were 12-4 ahead the break after Makinson added a penalty goal on the stroke of the half-time hooter sounding.

HT: St Helens 12-4 Wigan Warriors

Bevan French Wigan Warriors SWpix
Bevan French in action for Wigan | Photo: Alex Whitehead/SWpix

St Helens were on the front foot at the start of the second half. Joe Batchelor went over in the 48th minute to put his side 16-4 up.

Makinson added a penalty goal shortly after to stretch Saints’ lead.

Wigan were dealt a blow on the hour when hooker Sam Powell was sin-binned for a crusher tackle on young winger Bennison.

England World Cup hopeful Mark Percival put the game out of reach for Wigan with 15 minutes left. Miski struggled to deal with a Lewis Dodd chip, which resulted in Percival scoring.

St Helens saw the game out and finished comfortable 22-4 winners following a strong second half display.

FT: St Helens 22-4 Wigan Warriors

St Helens: Welsby; Hopoate, Hurrell, Percival, Makinson; Lomax, Dodd; Walmsley, Roby, Lees, Batchelor, Sironen, Knowles. Subs: Lussick, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Paasi, Norman.

Tries: Makinson, Lomax, Batchelor, Percival Goals: Makinson 3

Wigan: Field; Miski, Bateman, Bibby, French; Cust, Leuluai; Singleton, Powell, Byrne, Isa, Farrell, Smithies. Subs: Mago, Partington, Havard, Shorrocks.

Tries: Field Goals:

PLAY: Our free Fantasy Rugby League competition is back for 2022