NRL Round Up – Round 14

Depleted St George fell to just their second defeat of the season against resurgent Gold Coast 28-14.

Despite a powerful early score from Joe Tomane, the Dragons hit back with tries from Ratu Tagive and debutant Alex McKinnon to lead 8-4 at the interval.

Three consecutive tries from Scott Prince, Mark Minichiello and David Mead gave the Titans a considerable advantage.

Rookie McKinnon set up a score for Nathan Fien but the Titans had the last word through livewire hooker Matt Srama.

A professional performance from Manly saw them put North Queensland to the sword 24-4 at a soggy Brookvale Oval.

Early tries from the Sea Eagles’ Brett Stewart and front-rower George Rose meant the home side led 12-0 at the break.

Steve Matai’s early second half score was replied to by Ashley Graham but a strong finish from the Sea Eagles saw Stewart in for his second.

A Peter Wallace field goal in overtime saw Brisbane survive a second half flourish from Canberra to triumph 25-24.

Alex Glenn, Dale Copley and Gerard Beale all crossed for the Broncos during a dominant first half performance.

Josh Hoffman’s second half score cued a remarkable fightback from the Raiders who grabbed scores from Josh Papali (2), Glenn Buttriss and Jarrod Croker to tie the score at 24-24.

But Wallace broke the visitors’ hearts with a clinical drop kick five minutes into golden point.

A Benji Marshall-inspired comeback saw Wests overturn an 18-point deficit to beat New Zealand Warriors 26-22 in Auckland.

Despite crossing first through Blake Ayshford, the Tigers went on to concede scores through Krisnan Inu and Kevin Locke to trail 8-4 at the break.

Two tries from Manu Vatuvei either side of a Shaun Johnson effort looked to have wrapped the game up for the Warriors but a brace from the brilliant Benji Marshall plus scores from Wade McKinnon and Beau Ryan proved enough to win.

Melbourne, minus their Origin stars defeated a lacklustre Sydney Roosters outfit 21-4.

An early Joseph Leilua score was cancelled out by a fine try from Justin O’Neill thanks to the work of Maurice Blair to help the Storm establish an 8-4 lead at the interval.

Beau Champion and O’Neill crossed either side of a Gareth Widdop field goal to seal the result for the home side.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.