Wigan chairman Ian Lenegan and Leeds chief executive Gary Hetherington are in the top 20 most influential people in rugby league, according to an Australian magazine.
Following the departure of David Gallop as ARL Commission chief executive and Richard Lewis’ departure as executive chairman of the RFL, Rugby League Week compiled a “Power List” of the top 20 most influential people in the game.
According to the list, Australian businessman John Grant is currently the most powerful man in the game. He was named as the inaugurual chairman of the NRL‘s new independent commission last season, and sits at the head of the NRL, as the governing body of rugby league in Australia, is responsible for running the State of Origin series and in administering the Australian national team.
A former player, Grant played for Warrington in the 1970s.
The list in full is as follows:
1. John Grant
2. Gary Pemberton (part of NRL board)
3. Wayne Bennett (coach, Newcastle Knights)
4. Rupert Murdoch (chairman, News Limited)
5. David Gyngell (CEO, Channel Nine)
6. Phil Gould (broadcaster and journalist)
7. Ian Frykberg (sports rights agent)
8. Russell Crowe (co-owner, South Sydney Rabbitohs)
9. Nigel Wood (chief executive, RFL)
10. Nick Politis (chairman, Sydney Roosters Board of Directors)
11. Gary Hetherington (chief executive, Leeds Rugby)
12. David Leckie (CEO, Seven Media Group)
13. Lachlan Murdoch (Director, News Limited)
14. Petero Civoniceva (Player, Brisbane Broncos)
15. Cameron Smith (Player, Melbourne Storm)
16. Ian Lenegan (Chairman, Wigan Warriors)
17. Shane Richardson (CEO, South Sydney Rabbitohs)
18. Nathan Tinkler (Owner, Newcastle Knights)
19. Wayne Beavis (Player Agent)
20. Graham Annesley (Australian Minister for Sport)
Rugby League Week is an Australian magazine, available across Australasia and on iTunes