Jamie Ellis makes Giant debut with win over Huddersfield



Jamie Ellis landed 10 goals to help avenge Castleford’s woeful Monday night performance with a 52-6 thrashing of Huddersfield.

Ellis was making his Castleford debut since signing for the Tigers earlier in the week, and dominated the game alongside Danny Orr after a performance that put a smile on Ian Millward’s face.

James Clare got the Tigers’ first try of the game on the back of a long range pass from Jamie Ellis. Clare caught the ball cleanly, but stumbled losing time to the scrambling Giants defence. Luckily Ellis’ pass had caught Luke George so far out of position, Clare still had time to touch down in the corner.

But Huddersfield responded with a sensation try from Leroy Cudjoe. The try in earnest started earlier in the set when Luke George collected a fine pass from Kevin Brown. George handed Huddersfield excellent field position allowing Danny Brough to place a perfect kick into the hands of Cudjoe over the Tigers’ try line.

Jordan Thompson slipped through the Huddersfield defence before Danny Orr created space on the left flank for the departing Nick Yongquest.

Castleford were making amends for their poor performance earlier in the season, and they went 22-6 ahead thanks to a Richard Owen try near to the posts.

Huddersfield failed to take their chances, and deserved to be badly behind as the first half reached its conclusion. Luke Robinson made a break five minutes from half time with Tommy Lee in support. Sadly for the Giants, Lee overran Robinson’s pass which cost them possession.

Huddersfield started the second half badly, and their ill discipline cost them four points in the shape of two Ellis penalty goals. The latter came from just over the 40 metre line.

Ellis added another before Josh Griffin plucked the ball from thin air intercepting a Huddersfield flow of play that actually looked threatening. He raced away 90 metres to score a wonderful interception try.

Owen and Adam Milner both scored tries, converted by Ellis, before the man of the match on his Castleford debut scored a fitting try himself in the final minutes of the match.



Castleford scores: T- Clare, Thompson, Youngquest, Owen (2), Griffin, Milner, Ellis. G- Ellis (10)

Huddersfield scores: T- Cudjoe. G- Brough

Castleford: Owen; Youngquest, Thompson, Griffin, Clare; Orr, Ellis; Jackson, Milner, Huby; Millington, Snitch, Emmitt. Subs: Jones, Hudson, Mitchell, Massey.

Huddersfield: Eden; Murphy, Cudjoe, Lawrence, George; Brough, Robinson; Mason, Moore, Gilmour; O’Donnell, Patrick, Brown. Subs: Fa’alogo, Lee, Faiumu, Chan.

Attendance: 5,012

Referee: Ben Thaler

Half time: 22-6


Bradford overcame emotion to secure a 44-12 win over London Broncos.

In an emotional day for the Bulls, Mick Potter’s men went onto comfortably defeat the Broncos in a packed out Odsal Stadium.

Brett Kearney scored four tries in what could be the Bulls’ final match, unless the club is bought before Tuesday.

Manuokafoa, Gale, Whitehead and Platt all added to the scores for Bradford.

London replied with two tries from Dixon, and a single touch down from Lovell.


Widnes claimed they were robbed of a win as they lost 24-23 to St Helens.

The Vikings claimed a conversion from Rhys Hanbury, which was waved away by the touch judges, sailed over the crossbar.

Patrick Ah Van scored a hat trick, with tries from Dean and Phelps giving Widnes 22 points. Hanbury kicked a drop goal, before a last minute Josh Jones try and Lee Gaskell conversion gave Saints the victory.

Soliola, Wilkin and Shenton also scored for St Helens.


Sam Tomkins scored 24 points as Wigan ran off to a 52-10 victory at Wakefield.

Tomkins scored a hat trick and six conversion, while his team mate Carmont also scored three tries. Wigan were back up with touch downs from Hock, Hansen and Thornley.

Fox and Cockayne scored tries for the Wildcats.


Salford scored four tries to defeat Hull KR 24-22.

Two Danny Williams tries and contributions from Moon, Gledhill and Broughton helped the Reds onto another win.

Rovers replied with tries from Dobson, Hall, green and Mika as Dobson’s three goals to Holdsworth’s two kept Rovers two points adrift.