Hunslet chairman Kenny Sykes says the club supports the RFL’s decision to cancel the 2020 League 1 season.
The Championship and League 1 competitions will not resume in 2020, the RFL have confirmed.
The RFL board met on Monday evening to make their decision over the future of the competitions at the end of a turbulent day for rugby league that saw the withdrawal of Toronto Wolfpack from this season’s Super League.
Championship and League 1 clubs will be invited to play in a competition this autumn, with a theme of celebrating the sport’s 125th anniversary, and with a prize pot of £250,000.
Sykes said: “By now you will all have seen the RFL announcement that the 2020 season has been cancelled.
“We were caught by the immediacy of the announcement as the RFL had previously said they would make a decision on the 23rd. Whilst we welcome the decision, and think it’s the right thing to do given the potential financial impact it’s obviously hugely disappointing for everyone connected with the sport.
“The RFL have advised that they will be briefing clubs later this week to provide more information. Part of that briefing will be about the potential one off Cup competition but to manage expectations we will only be taking part if it is financially viable to do so. We will not put the future of the club at risk.
“Finally, we will make a further announcement on season ticket refunds in the coming days so watch this space.”
Watch our Last Tackle podcast, featuring a guest, every week. SUBSCRIBE to Love Rugby League on YouTube.
Listen to The Final Hooter podcast, featuring exclusive interviews, every week. SUBSCRIBE to Love Rugby League on Apple Podcasts.
More on site