Hull FC prove too hot for Hull KR at Magic Weekend

Drew Darbyshire

Photo courtesy of Richard Long

Hull FC won the bragging rights with a 34-22 victory over rivals Hull KR in the final game of Magic Weekend.    

Tim Sheens made five changes to his Hull KR side that was knocked out of the Challenge Cup by Wigan Warriors last week. Elliot Wallis, Robbie Mulhern, Josh Johnson, Joe Cator and Matty Marshwere replaced by Kieren Moss, Aaron Smith, Nick Scruton, Chris Clarkson and Ben Kavanagh. Clarkson made his 150th career appearance.

Hull FC coach Lee Radford made seven changes to his team that beat Featherstone Rovers in the Challenge Cup last time out. Cameron Scott, Kirk Yeaman, Jack Logan, Liam Harris, Scott Taylor, Mickey Paea and Hakim Miloudi replaced Bureta Faraimo, Fetuli Talanoa, Carlos Tuimavave, Josh Bowden, Danny Washbrook, Jez Litten and Jordan Lane.

KR hooker Smith, who is on loan from St Helens, left the field in the opening minutes with a knock to the head and didn’t return to action after failing his concussion assessment.

Danny Tickle had an effort overturned by the video referee for knocking on over the line in the opening stages, but it was a good start from Rovers.

Hull KR did score the opening try though after the ball went down the line to Moss who darted over in the corner. Ryan Shaw couldn’t convert, but they led 4-0.

FC hit back with quite possibly the strangest try of the season. Jake Connor put a kick across field, it hit the crossbar and bounced back into the arms of Taylor who touched down. Connor converted to put his side in a narrow 6-4 lead.

Jamie Shaul put the Black and Whites further ahead after scooting from dummy half and catching the KR defence off guard. Connor’s boot made the score 12-4 after 23 minutes.

It was an end-to-end affair and it didn’t take long for Rovers to reply. USA star Junior Vaivai produced a fine skip to assist Moss, who grabbed his second of the game. Shaw added the extras, Hull KR 10-12 Hull FC.

Harris only joined Hull FC this week from Doncaster, but he scored on his debut as he scampered through the Rovers defence to score on the half hour mark. Connor’s conversion was successful.

Shaul got his second of the game after receiving a quality flick pass from Joe Westerman. The conversion was on point and Hull FC were 24-10 to the good at half time.

Hull KR were dealt a blow in the early stages of the second half as prop Scruton was sent to the sin bin for a shoulder charge on Danny Houghton.

The yellow card didn’t seem to affect Rovers though, with Moss going on to complete his hat-trick in his first Hull derby. Shaw added the conversion, but they still trailed 24-16 after 55 minutes.

Hull FC extended their lead when Connor took on the Rovers defence and assisted Logan who dived over in the corner.

Connor all but sealed the win for the Black and Whites in the 68thminute. He sold Rovers a dummy and stepped Adam Quinlan to score under the sticks. He converted his own try to put his side 34-16 ahead.

Tommy Lee scored what would only be a consolation try for Hull KR late on as he barged over the line from close. Shaw added the extras, but FC took the bragging rights back to Hull.

Hull KR: Quinlan; Shaw, Salter, Vaivai, Moss; Blair, Lee; Masoe, Smith, Scruton, Tickle, Clarkson, Donaldson. Subs: Greenwood, Atkin, Walne, Kavanagh.

Hull FC: Shaul; Griffin, Scott, Yeaman, Logan; Connor, Harris; Taylor, Houghton, Green, Manu, Minichiello, Westerman. Subs: Matongo, Paea, Hadley, Miloudi.

Starman: Jake Connor was at the heart of everything that Hull FC did in attack.