Hull FC 4-36 Hull KR: Robins claim bragging rights

Elliot Minchella Hull KR

Elliot Minchella of Hull KR celebrates

Hull KR won the bragging rights with an emphatic 36-4 victory over rivals Hull at the MKM Stadium in their final Super League game of the season. 

The sides had gone into the final game of the regular season level on points but it was Rovers who outscored their opponents by six tries to one to finish above them in eighth in the table.

Will Tate led the way for the visitors with two tries. There were also scores from Ryan Hall, Ethan Ryan, Elliot Minchella and Albert Vete, the latter on his final appearance for the club.

Rowan Milnes kicked five conversions and a penalty while Hull’s reply was a solitary first-half try from Luke Gale.

Match report

Both teams were guilty of early mistakes. Rovers were the first to make it pay as they took the lead with six minutes gone.

Milnes kicked on the last tackle and as the home side failed to clear Tate was on hand to touch down, Milnes adding the extras for a 6-0 lead.

But the home side replied soon after as Harvey Barron raced down the left and fed inside for Gale to cross.

Rovers had a second try and this time Hall crossed on the left to finish off a fine move with 20 minutes gone, Milnes again adding the conversion for an eight-point advantage.

Hall was then held up over the line but when Barron spilled a high kick Tate gathered and claimed his second try.

Gale was shown a yellow card after an exchange with referee Liam Moore. Milnes kicked the penalty to make it 18-4 with seven minutes of the half remaining.

Rovers made the extra man pay as Vete forced his way over from dummy half to cap a fine first-half display of forceful ball carrying and Milnes’ kick made it 24-4 at the break.

HT: Hull FC 4-24 Hull KR

EXIT: Luke Gale headlines list of Hull departures

The second half began as the first with mistakes from both sides. Rovers grabbed the all-important first try of the period as Milnes fed Kane Linnett whose pass sent over Ryan.

Milnes added a fourth conversion as the lead went up to 26 points with 50 minutes on the clock.

Hull prop Scott Taylor was lucky not to be shown a card when he went in swinging on Vete after the home side had coughed up possession once again.

Any chance Hull had of getting back into the game disappeared as the errors continued to flow. The home fans started to head for an early exit with an hour gone.

Rovers added a sixth try late on through captain Minchella. Milnes’ fifth conversion made the final score 36-4 to the visitors.

FT: FC 4-36 KR

Hull FC: Connor; McIntosh, Scott, Vulikijapani, Barron; Smith, Gale; Sao, Johnstone, Taylor, Lane, Longstaff, Gardiner. Subs: Laidlaw, Litten, Houghton, Satae.

Tries: Gale Goals:

Hull KR: Ryan; Tate, Keinhorst, Wood, Hall; Milnes, Laulu-Togaga’e; Vete, Minchella, King, Halton, Linnett, Storton. Subs: Moore, Fishwick, Barley.

Tries: Tate (2), Hall, Vete, Ryan, Minchella Goals: Milnes 6

PODCASTMatty Russell opens up on overcoming gambling and alcohol demons, & how Toulouse has reacted to Super League relegation

FOLLOW: Keep up with all the latest on the Love Rugby League mobile app and podcast