Huddersfield 25-4 Hull KR: Giants reach first final since 2009

Steven Hughes
Jermaine McGillvary Huddersfield Challenge Cup

Huddersfield Giants will face Wigan in the Challenge Cup Final after a comfortable victory over Hull KR at Elland Road.

It will be the first time they will compete in the Challenge Cup Final since 2009. They were beaten 25-16 by Warrington at Wembley that day.

Huddersfield made four changes to the side that beat Wakefield last week. Tui Lolohea and Chris Hill returned from suspension, while Jermaine McGillvary is back from illness and Seb Ikahihfo also returned from injury. They replaced the suspended Matty English, while Jake Wardle, Jack Ashworth and Michael Lawrence also missed out.

As for Hull KR, they made four changes to the side that lost at Leeds. Lachlan Coote missed out under concussion protocols, with Sam Wood also out with a dislocated patella. Albert Vete was also suspended and Will Maher also dropped out. Replacing them in the squad was Will Dagger, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Kane Linnett and Jez Litten.

Match Report

Huddersfield got the first points of the game with 10 minutes on the clock. Olly Russell managed to dummy his way through a gap and put the supporting Josh Jones over for the try. Russell then added the conversion to open up a six-point lead.

Just before the 20-minute mark, Huddersfield doubled their lead in emphatic style. Ricky Leutele was able to take a Hull KR kick in the air, before offloading to Innes Senior, who ran 75 metres to score. Russell added the conversion to make it a 12-point advantage.

Hull KR were able to grow into the match as the half went on, but could not turn their pressure into points. As such, they trailed by two converted tries, and were kept to nil again, just like at Leeds last week.

HT- Huddersfield 12-0 Hull KR

Just two minutes into the second half, Huddersfield extended their lead. Jermaine McGillvary got the ball in space, and ran 60 metres to score in the corner. Russell’s conversion attempt landed just short from the touchline.

Soon after, Russell had the opportunity to add another two points after Hull KR were caught offside 40 metres out. He was able to put the kick straight between the uprights.

Just before the hour, Huddersfield all but booked their place in the final. Owen Trout came onto a short ball and powered over by the posts to score. Russell added the conversion to maintain a decent record with the boot.

Soon after, the Giants went further ahead, after Theo Fages decided to drop a goal to extend their lead to 25 points.

But the final word would go to Hull KR, who ensured they were not nilled. Shaun Kenny-Dowall took in Jez Litten’s kick out wide, and was able to spin out of Tui Lolohea’s tackle to score. Will Dagger’s conversion attempt hit the post.

That would prove to be the final action of the game. Huddersfield will now take on Wigan at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium hoping to win a first Challenge Cup since 1953.

Meanwhile, Hull KR will return their attention to the Super League. They face Castleford next Sunday.

FT- Huddersfield 25-4 Hull KR

Team News

Huddersfield: Lolohea, McGillvary, Cudjoe, Leutele, Senior, Russell, Fages, Hill, Levi, Wilson, Jones, McQueen, Yates. Subs: Ikahihifo, Greenwood, Trout, Golding.

Tries: Jones, Senior, McGillvary, Trout

Goals: Russell 4/5

Drop-Goal: Fages 1/1

Hull KR: Dagger, Ryan, Crooks, Kenny-Dowall, Hall, Milnes, Abdull, Storton, Parcell, King, Hadley, Linnett, Minchella. Subs: Litten, Sims, Keinhorst, Richards.

Tries: Kenny-Dowall

Goals: Dagger 0/1

READ MOREIan Watson hails Huddersfield for overcoming adversity in Wakefield win