Gary Chambers delighted as Warrington Wolves end losing streak to help keep play-off hopes alive

Drew Darbyshire
Gary Chambers Warrington Wolves Alamy

Warrington Wolves interim head coach Gary Chambers

Warrington Wolves interim head coach Gary Chambers was delighted as his side ended their eight-match losing streak to help keep their play-off hopes alive.

The Wire beat Hull FC 18-4 at the MKM Stadium on Saturday afternoon to claim their first victory since June 10.

The win sees Warrington fifth in the Super League table, sitting above Hull KR and Salford on points difference as well as being four points behind fourth-placed Leigh.

Chambers took charge on an interim basis three weeks ago following the departure of Daryl Powell, and whilst he admitted it has been a whirlwind couple of weeks, he was pleased to see his group return to winning ways.

Speaking after their win over Hull, Chambers said: “The boys are certainly happy, they’re up in the changing rooms and they deserved it.

“They worked really hard, it wasn’t enlightening rugby but we put in plenty of effort and we’ll get better.

“It’s a whirlwind. I came in three weeks ago and haven’t slept much. It’s a challenge for me and I’m learning, but to get a win today is great for the players and great for the fans as well.”


Gary Chambers: We’re very much a work in progress

With four games remaining of the regular season, Warrington face Castleford, Salford, St Helens and Huddersfield as they look to seal their place in the play-offs.

The Wolves returned to winning ways thanks to tries from George Williams, Matt Dufty and Matty Ashton in their 18-4 win at Hull.

Speaking in his post-match press conference, Chambers said: “It was a bit scruffy at times but results went our way last night and the players were well aware of that coming into today.

“I thought we actually played better last week and lost. We played how we wanted to play at times today but credit to Hull, they nullified parts of our game.

“We scrambled really well. Hull were throwing a lot at us but we kept turning up for each other which was really good.

“They broke us on a number of occasions but we were desperate and scrambled back, it was a real collective effort off the ball.

“Hull were missing a few big fellas and I thought although we did well, we could have punched harder through the middle but there’s certainly more to come from us, we’re very much a work in progress.”

Next up for Warrington is a home clash with Castleford at the Halliwell Jones Stadium next Saturday, 3pm kick-off.

READ NEXT: Warrington Wolves incoming head coach Sam Burgess sets sights on NRL centre for debut Super League campaign