Danny Orr hat-trick helps Cas fight back against Salford

Two late tries from Castleford gave the Tigers a last gasp win as Ian Millward’s men defeated Salford 34-30.

Danny Orr completed a well deserved hat trick before Craig Huby leaped over everyone under the posts to secure the win for the Tigers in dramatic style.

Throughout the game Salford looked to be in control, letting the game slip away from them in the dying moments when it appeared they themselves would take home the two Super League points.

Nick Youngquest scored the Tigers’ first try as he was allowed to run through a gap in between the Salford three quarters. Dixon’s conversion didn’t go over, and the game seemed to turn Salford’s way shortly after.

Brett Ferres was sin binned for deliberately delaying a Salford 20 metre restart, and the City Reds took advantage of their extra man.

Rangi Chase was unfortunate not to be able to keep hold of an intercept as the Reds attacked, but Sean Gleeson took advantage of the error and quickly made a break.

As Gleeson drew in the fullback Richard Owen, Vinnie Anderson was on hand to finish off the play.

Salford went further ahead as Jodie Broughton made sure the Reds doubled their lead, however Orr scored his first try to bring the Tigers back into the game. 

Ian Millward’s men were ahead at half time as Jordan Thompson scored after the hooter sounded.

Chase’s high kick wasn’t dealt with by the City Reds, but Thompson was on hand to side step around their defenders and finish off an unlikely try.

Orr went in for his second just after the break scooting from dummy half. However Salford pulled themselves back into the game with a good ball handling try from Joel Moon.

The ball moved from the right side of the field to the left, and was finished off with a 15 metre dash by Moon.

Salford re-took the lead through Stephen Wild. Luke Patten had several players surrounding him as he broke through the Castleford line, opting to pass inside to Wild who touched down under the posts.

Matty Ashurst looked to have scored and taken Salford’s lead further ahead, but referee George Stokes deemed Matty Smith’s pass to be forward denying Salford the chance to extend their lead.

However Sean Gleeson looked to have won the game for Salford as he scored with less than 10 minutes to go, crossing the whitewash on the right flank before making the angle easier for kicker Marc Sneyd to add the extra points.

But this was before Orr completed his hat trick, and Huby touched down under the posts to win the game. 


Castleford scores: T- Youngquest, Orr (3), Thompson, Huby. G- Dixon (3), Huby, Orr

Salford scores: Anderson, Broughton, Moon, Wild, Gleeson. G- Sneyd (5)

Castleford sin bin: Ferres

Castleford: Owen; Youngquest, Dixon, Thompson, Williams; Chase, McGoldrick; Walker, Milner, Huby; Ferres, Millington, Jones. Subs: Orr, Emmitt, Holmes, Massey.

Salford: Patten; Broughton, Moon, Gleeson, Williams; Sneyd, Smith; McPherson, Howarth, Sidlow; Ashurst, Anderson, Wild. Subs: Nero, Palea’aesina, Owen, Gledhill.

Referee: George Stokes

Half time: 16-12

Attendance: 5,877


Wakefiled came from behind to defeat Hull FC 32-30.

Ali Lauitiiti scored the crucial try in the 72nd minute to seal an unlikely win.

Kirk Yeaman scored a double along with tries from Manu, Seymour and Crooks. 

Wakefield touched down with tries from Collis, Fox, Sykes, Washbrook and Amor before Lauitiiti won the game for the Wildcats.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.