Castleford 28-46 Hull KR

Hull KR moved one step closer to securing fourth position in the engage Super League table after a comprehensive victory over Castleford at The Jungle.

Moved to a midday kick-off on the advice of the police, a strong contingent of Rovers fans still made the journey to witness a superb second-half performance that pushed them five points clear of chasing Wigan with just five games remaining.

A talismanic performance from Michael Dobson was the difference, ably assisted by hat-trick hero Shaun Briscoe as the East Hull side look to hit form ahead of the play-offs.

Early pressure from the Robins almost resulted in winger Liam Colbon scoring, but Castleford countered and Brett Ferres found a gap and escaped the clutches of full-back Briscoe to score.

And Rangi Chase provided a superb pass for Craig Huby to hit another gap minutes later who just managed to make the line to add a second try.

Peter Fox managed to help KR get back into it with their first try of the afternoon, but Joe Westerman kicked his third goal of the afternoon to edge the Tigers eight points ahead.

But tries from Briscoe and Dobson put the Robins in front for the first time in the game, linking together with each other to score two simple but superbly taken tries.

Captain Ryan Hudson gave the Tigers the half-time advantage though after a mistake in defence allowed the ball to drop, Dean Widders the lucky benefactor who passed to Hudson score under the posts.

But in a resolute second half performance of stark contrast, Hull KR produced arguably the most satisfying display so far this season.

Pegged back by an early Westerman penalty, they finally switched to an higher gear despite some help from the Tigers defence who were indisciplined and weak in the tackle.

Dobson took advantage again from short-range, dancing his way through before Liam Colbon stretched them further ahead moments later.

Fox then grabbed his second of the game after Ryan McGoldrick‘s hospital pass to Westerman went to ground and the England winger picked the ball up and raced 90 metres to score.

Kirk Netherton did get the Tigers back within six points of the Robins, after a break from Richard Owen, but Rovers were the more threatening and took full advantage with two further tries from England full-back Briscoe.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.