Sydney Roosters half-back Sam Walker has been named in the returning Australian Prime Minister’s XIII team to play Papua New Guinea at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday September 25.
Walker, 20, qualifies to play for England having been born in Leeds. However, the talented playmaker looks set to commit his allegiance to the Kangaroos.
Sydney Roosters team-mates Angus Crichton and Nat Butcher have also been selected for the fixture. Canterbury Bulldogs winger Josh Addo-Carr and Manly Sea Eagles captain Daly Cherry-Evans are among the star names who have been selected.
Forward Tino Fa’ausaulameaui, who most recently represented Samoa, has also been named.
It will be the first PM’s XIII game to be played since 2019 due to the pandemic. It will also act as a warm-up match ahead of this year’s Rugby League World Cup in England.
Players still in the NRL finals have not been selected for the clash.
Australia head coach Mal Meninga said: “I’m very pleased with the squad we have assembled.
“We have a mix of youth and experience. We have players who have represented the Kangaroos before, along with others who I am looking forward to seeing for the first time at this level.
“This will be an important match for us in the lead-up to the World Cup. I’m eager to see what all these players are able to achieve on this stage.”
Australian Prime Minister’s XIII
- Daine Laurie (Wests Tigers)
- Josh Addo-Carr (Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs)
- Selwyn Cobbo (Brisbane Broncos)
- Zac Lomax (St George Illawarra Dragons)
- Jojo Fifita (Gold Coast Titans)
- Matt Burton (Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs)
- Daly Cherry-Evans (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
- Tino Fa’ausaulameaui (Gold Coast Titans)
- Ben Hunt (St George Illawarra Dragons)
- Thomas Flegler (Brisbane Broncos)
- Nat Butcher (Sydney Roosters)
- Angus Crichton (Sydney Roosters)
- Josh King (Melbourne Storm)
- Max King (Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs)
- Beau Fermor (Gold Coast Titans)
- Jake Simpkin (Wests Tigers)
- Luke Garner (Wests Tigers)
- Josh Curran (Warriors)
- Jake Averillo (Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs)
- Sam Walker (Sydney Roosters)
The Australian Women’s PM’s XIII squad will face PNG on the same day inside Suncorp Stadium.