Willie Isa scores first Widnes tries to beat Hull FC

Willie Isa scored his first two Super League tries for Widnes in the Vikings’ 42-16 win over Hull FC.

Isa, who had never scored for Widnes prior to Saturday’s game, was unfortunate not to score a hat trick but his first attempt in the corner was ruled out by the video referee. 

But despite going behind in the opening stages of the game, Widnes came back and a two try spell in the space of three minutes just before half time proved to be a psychological difference.

Both sides missed chances to score early in the match but Jordan Turner got Hull on the score board first on the back of some excellent passing.

The Airlie Birds threw the ball from left to right before it ended up in the hands of Ryan McGoldrick. McGoldrick’s pass to Turner allowed the centre to score in the corner.

However Widnes quickly replied with two tries of their own after Isa was denied a try in the corner. He eventually grabbed his first try for Widnes before Paddy Flynn found space in the opposite corner to put Widnes ahead.

Joe Westerman scored for Hull FC to level the scores at 8-all, before Widnes had a fantastic finish to the first half.

Shaun Briscoe scored a try under the posts after collecting an attacking kick, before Frank Winterstein’s try on the hooter sent the Stobart Stadium into hysterics.

Cameron Phelps’ grubber kick inside his own half was picked up by the chasing Isa, before he offloaded inside to Winterstein to score under the posts. Widnes led at half time by 20 points to 10.

Widnes started the second half stronger and increased their half time lead through Isa’s second try. They scored again as Danny Craven touched down, taking advantage of a Willie Manu error, before Aaron Heremaia reduced the deficit for Hull FC.

 Widnes were put under pressure from the Airlie Birds as Hull FC threatened the Vikings’ try line, only for Rhys Hanbury to intercept and knock on several times. However Widnes kept Hull at bay, and Briscoe scored the try that sealed the win for Widnes.

However that didn’t stop Widnes increasing their 20 point lead, and they did so after Hanbury exploited an error from Hull and raced away to touch down under the posts.


Widnes scores:T- Isa (2), Flynn, Briscoe (2), Winterstein, Craven, Hanbury. G- Craven (2), McShane (3)

Hull FC scores: T- Turner, Westerman, Heremaia. G- Foster (2)

Widnes: S.Briscoe; Flynn, Marsh, Phelps, Isa; Craven, Hanbury; Davies, Clarke, Kite; Winterstein, Allen, Cahill. Subs: Kavanagh, Haggerty, Gerrard, McShane.

Hull FC: T.Briscoe; Lineham, Crooks, Turner, Foster; McGoldrick, Seymour; Watts, Houghton, Lynch; Manu, Westerman, Pitts. Subs: Horne, Heremaia, Aspinwall, O’Meley.

Attendance: 5,008

Half time: 20-10

Referee: Steve Ganson


Catalan defeated Challenge Cup finalists Leeds Rhinos 38-34 in Perpignan.

Catalan scored early in the match, as the Rhinos played catch up throughout the match.

Remi Casty scored two tries as Setaimata Sa, Scott Dureau, Vincent Duport and Darryl Millard all scored touched down.

Leeds scored four tries in the final 15 minutes, but it wasn’t enough to complete a come back. Leeds scored through Shaun Lunt, Ben Jones-Bishop (twice), Ryan Hall, Jimmy Keinhorst and Jamie Jones-Buchanan.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.