Wigan 46-4 Hull KR: French and Marshall score hat-tricks as Rovers hit with more injuries

Josh McAllister
Wigan Warriors Bevan French

Both Bevan French and Liam Marshall crossed for hat-tricks as Wigan claimed a 46-4 victory over Hull KR at the DW Stadium. 

It comes just two weeks after French broke the record for the most tries in a Super League game as the winger crossed for seven against Hull FC in a 60-0 triumph.

Rovers interim boss Danny McGuire was hit with more injury concerns during the defeat. Will Dagger left the field in the first half with a leg injury, before Lachlan Coote soon followed with a head injury. On debut, Charlie Cavanaugh was helped from the pitch in the final five minutes.

Patrick Mago returned for Wigan and was named on the bench. 20-year-old Sam Halsall was named in the centres, with Willie Isa moved to back-row.

Youngsters Cavanaugh and Connor Moore were named to make their debuts from the bench for Hull KR. 17-year-old Zach Fishwick started at prop, while Jez Litten was named at loose forward. George King was named to make his 150th Super League appearance.

Match report

French opened the scoring less than three minutes into the clash with his first of three. The hosts found an overlap on the edge and Halsall fed the winger to score in his ninth consecutive game. Harry Smith converting and hitting 150 points for the season and 250 for Wigan. 

Wigan extended their lead on the other wing just five minutes later. Marshall crossing untouched from a scrum play for his first. 

Mike Cooper started and made his home debut and he celebrated with a try on 11 minutes. The prop forward chasing down a kick back on the inside from Marshall to crash over. 

French doubled his tally on 20 minutes. Jai Field’s kick beating Coote and the Wigan winger collected the bouncing ball to cross in the corner. 

Dagger left the field with 12 minutes until the break with a leg injury, replaced by Phoenix Laulu-Togaga’e who moved to full-back with Coote switching to the halves. 

Ethan Ryan scored Hull KR’s first just a minute later, collecting a kick to the corner from Rowan Milnes to score. 

Coote was the next to leave the field for the Robins with a head injury, adding to their already injury-hit squad.  

HT: Wigan 20-4 Hull KR

French’s magic feet created Wigan’s first try of the second half on 44 minutes. The former Parramatta man refused to be tackled, ended up with the ball again after kicking and threw a long ball for Kai Pearce-Paul to score.

Marshall crossed for his second on 50 minutes, scoring in the corner untouched once again before French completed his hat-trick on 65 minutes, displaying his electric pace to beat chasing defenders.

Returning Mago crashed over on 72 minutes for his first try for the Warriors, carring defenders on his back to score.

26-year-old Marshall chased down a kick from Cade Cust to complete his hat-trick on 75 minutes. Cavanaugh soon after left the field and the Robins were unable to replace him, leaving them with 12 for the final five minutes as the score remained 46-4.

FT: Wigan 46-4 Hull KR

Wigan: Field, French, Halsall, Pearce-Paul, Marshall, Cust, Smith, Cooper, Powell, Byrne, Isa, Farrell, Smithies. Bench: Mago, Ellis, Partington, O’Neill.

Tries: French (3), Marshall (3), Cooper, Pearce-Paul, Mago.

Goals: Smith 5/9

Hull KR: Coote, Ryan, Wood, Crooks, Tate, Dagger, Milnes, Fishwick, Parcell, King, Minchella, Royle, Litten. Bench: Maher, Laulu-Togaga’e, Cavanaugh, Moore.

Tries: Ryan

Goals: Coote 0/1

PODCAST: Sam Tomkins on what Catalans bring to Super League, neighbour Shaun Edwards & leading England at World Cup

FOLLOW: Keep up with all the latest on the Love Rugby League mobile app and podcast