Wakefield Wildcats 30-24 Warrington

Image | www.wakefieldwildcats.co.uk
Used with permission

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats were not able to climb back to the summit of the engage Super League table, but that will do nothing to sour their hard-fought 30-24 victory over Warrington Wolves.

The home side had started the better against a Warrington team that looked out of it; but the visitors came back into the game and briefly took the lead in the second half, before Wakefield finally edged the win.

It took just three minutes for the Wildcats to open the scoring through Peter Fox, the excellent Jamie Rooney adding the extras, before Ryan Atkins crossed just five minutes later to open up a 10-0 lead.

The Wolves rallied and Paul Wood crossed after 22 minutes, Chris Bridge converting the reduce the arrears, but Wakefield restored their ten-point lead with a Paul March try, also converted by Rooney.

The sound of the half-time hooter did not bring an end to play as Warrington kept the ball alive; Richie Barnett’s kick was claimed by Brett Ferres, but Bridge wrested the ball from Ferres’ grasp and sent Henry Fa’afili over at the corner.

The try had a hint of controversy as the replays appeared to show the ball to have been stolen in a two-man tackle, but the try was awarded and Bridge’s conversion made the half-time score 16-12.

The Wolves started the stronger after the break, Bridge’s try and goal putting his side in the lead for the first time, and Jon Clarke’s try on 53 minutes, also converted by Bridge, put Warrington 24-16 ahead.

But a mistake at the kick-off allowed Wakefield an immediate response, and Waine Pryce followed an Atkins kick into the in-goal area to touch down and cut the gap to four points.

Ben Jeffries crossed the try-line just minutes later to restore parity, another Rooney conversion putting the home side two points in front, and a try from Tevita Latu on 63 minutes made the score 30-24.

The remaining minutes of the game were tense, seeing opportunities spurned by both sides, but Warrington could not find their way back into the game and the Wildcats held on to secure an important two points.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.