Wakefield down Dragons

Wakefield have dented Catalans’ chances of holding onto a top four spot with their first win France in five years.

Trinity secured a close 30-28 victory at the Stade Gilbert Brutus, their last win coming back at the venue in 2011.

The defeat was Catalans fourth defeat in a row.

Max Jowitt established an early lead for Wakefield, touching down after Craig Hall’s inside pass. Liam Finn nailed the conversion.

Catalan almost replied within an instant but conceded a penalty after Tony Gigot’s challenge on Jacob Miller near the whitewash.

In the 18th minute Gigot grounded the ball, rounding off Lucas Albert’s run, before Pat Richards nailed the conversion to level the scores.

The Dragons moved in front coming up to the half-hour mark, Dave Taylor capitalizing on some feeble tackle attempts and racing across to score.

Wakefield displayed a weak defence once more, allowing Justin Horo to touch down after a dummy and a quick play-the-ball from Eloi Pelissier.

Jonny Molloy ensured the two sides remained within touching distance approaching the interval, squeezing over after a pass from Scott Moore at dummy-half.

Then Craig Hall made sure the Wildcats went in level at half-time, crashing over after chasing his own kick and benefitting from Morgan Escare dropping the ball.

The end-to-end half drawed to a controversial close after Fouad Yaha’s try was disallowed following Taylor’s adjudged forward pass.

Into the second half, Romain Navarrete went within a metre of the try-line but was stopped by some resolute Wakefield defending.

Bill Tupou’s breakaway try saw the Wildcats take the lead in the 48th minute, the New Zealander receiving the ball after Hall’s play-the-ball.

Escare brought the scores level once more, picking up Albert’s kick following a blistering run halfway down the field from Yaha.

Gigot tried to pull his side ahead but dragged the attempted drop goal wide of the posts.

Instead it was the Wildcats who moved in front nearing the final ten minutes of the match, Michael Sio diving over after Moore’s pass.

Albert picked out Yaha who added his name to the scoresheet by crashing over in the corner.

But Catalans still trailed the Wildcats by two after Richards sprayed his conversion wide.

The decision not to award Richards’ kick was a debatable one and that two points difference was enough to get Trinity home.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.