Solomona stars as classy Cas beat Wigan

Castleford remain alive in the race for Old Trafford with a close 36-22 win over Wigan at the Jungle.

The Tigers notched their second straight win in the Super 8s, after dominating Hull FC last weekend, but had to do it the hard way.

The star man was Denny Solomona, the in-form winger who’s reputation as a dynamic finisher continues to grow.

The home side started well but had to endure a nervy final quarter as Wigan staged a comeback, before Ryan Hampshire‘s controversial try eventually finished off his parent club.

Early on Junior Moors lost most of his shirt when it was ripped apart in a tackle.

Soon after Dominic Manfredi was forced from the field after Chase smashed him with a great shot. The Wigan winger was returning the ball after a Cas kick until he was felled by Chase.

Tigers earned the first points of the match in the seventh minute thanks to flying Solomona, the winger racing 80 metres for his 29th try of 2016.

Cas were causing Wigan problems with their energy and hard running.

They then went ahead 6-0 thanks to a Luke Gale penalty.

In the 16th minute Josh Charnley forced his way over the try-line but he was held up by some good defence.

Wigan went to the other wing and then Anthony Gelling was drove into touch.

The Tigers took a 12-0 lead after 26 minutes when Paul McShane barged over from dummy half.

The Warriors got on the board when Sam Powell darted over after a dropped pass opened up the Castleford defence.

Matty Smith added the extras to make it 12-6.

It remained that score until half-time.

In the second half Castleford struck first, Solomona grabbing his double with a high leap and outstanding take of a bomb over Anthony Gelling.

Gale converted to make it 18-6.

But Wigan replied not long after, Ben Flower crashing over right under the sticks. Smith added the extras and it was back to a a six-point game.

However, Solomona would not be stopped and in the 54th minute the Samoan star pulled off a fantastic acrobatic finish in the corner to bring up his hat-trick and his 31st try of 2016.

Gale nailed his conversion from the sideline to increase the lead to 24-12.

As the pressure rose tempers between the two sides began to flare. Oliver Holmes and Dom Crosby had to be pulled apart, and both were then sin-binned.

Gale knocked over the enusing penalty to make it 26-12. Wigan had 20 minutes to find a way back into the match.

In the 64th minute John Bateman came to their rescue with a try, but Smith couldn’t convert it.

Bateman then struck again, breaking the line and finding Lee Mossop in support to score.

Suddenly it was 26-22 with 14 minutes left.

Solomona almost had a fourth try in the 71st minute but he couldn’t hold on to Gale’s bomb.

Then three minutes before full-time controversy reined as Hampshire, on loan from Wigan, got over the line.

He appeared to knock the ball on as he went to ground it on the right wing, but the try was still given.

Gale converted to make it 32-22. With less than two minutes later Oliver Holmes rubbed further salt in the wounds with the final try.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.