Northern Rail Cup Round-up

This weekend sees the completion of the Quarter Finals of the Northern Rail Cup.

While Toulouse host Halifax on Saturday and Dewsbury play Batley on Sunday, two games have already taken place.

Leigh Centurions were first through to the semi-final draw next Thursday with an overwhelming 50-18 win over Widnes Vikings.

The Centurions started confidently and posted the first points when a break down the left on the last tackle saw the outstanding Dean McGilvray chip inside for Jamie Ellis to win the race. Nanyn added the first of nine goals but Widnes turned the screw on the Centurions and punished mistakes to claim three tries.

A quickfire double from Ben Kavanagh after distribution from Chaz I’Anson and Thomas Coyle and another try from former Leigh player MacGraff Leuluai had the Vikings 16-6 up. A further penalty goal from Steve Tyrer made it 18-6 but Leigh have a habit of being able to hit back and that is just what happened.

Leigh’s upturn in fortunes co-incided with Mick Govin‘s introduction. The former Halifax player quickly inspired a try from Steve Maden before Tom Armstrong lept to collect an Ellis kick. A short Govin ball then found David Mills and he proved unstoppable with Nanyn making it 22-18 to Leigh at half-time.

Early in the second half play was even with Leigh upping their advantage through a Nanyn penalty after Dave Allen was stopped on the line at the other end and the turning point came when Ellis supported Lee Mitchell for his second try of the game and then turned creator with a kick for Tommy Goulden.

Worse was to come for Widnes as Nanyn booted another penalty and Leigh forced home their advantage through John Duffy before Mills forced his way through at the end for Nanyn to bring up the fifty point mark again for Leigh.

Fifty was also the magic number for Featherstone Rovers on Friday night as they won a semi-final berth with a 50-12 success at Hunslet.

Tony Tonks opened the scoring for Featherstone Rovers and he was soon followed to the line by Bryn Powell and Andy Kain. It was a good night for Jon Grayshon. The well-travelled forward scored a hat-trick, including two in the first half as Rovers built a 28-0 advantage.

Waine Pryce opened the Hunslet account in the 43rd minute but two tries in three minutes from Stuart Dickens and Tonks made the game safe for Rovers. Welshman Elliot Kear pulled a try back for the Hawks and added his second goal but Rovers finished strongly with further scores from Grayshon and Sam Smeaton while Liam Finn ended the game with seven goals to his tally.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.