National Conference League Round-up – Week 1



A late penalty from Jonny Youds sealed a thrilling 17-16 win for LEIGH MINERS RANGERS over SIDDAL.

Despite taking an early lead through a Ross Bradley try the hosts trailed 10-4 at the interval after Emerson Newburn and Gareth Blackburn had crossed and Blackburn added a conversion.

Efforts from Jimmy Muir and Martin Lewis before the hour mark put Leigh back in control, before Nick Smith went over to level matters at 14-14.

Leigh re-took the lead with a Liam Coleman field-goal seven minutes from time, before Blackburn and Youds both added penalties in a frantic last few minutes.

Newly-promoted LOCK LANE made a dream start to life in the top flight with an 18-4 win at SKIRLAUGH.

Craig Duncan and Nicky Saxton got the Castleford-based side off to the perfect start before Lee Nobbs responded for Skirlaugh. However, normal service was resumed when Chris Tudor raced over.

The only points of the second period came via a third goal from the boot of Danny Rowse.

EAST HULL came out on top 32-24 in an entertaining contest with YORK ACORN.

A brace from Joe Budd, plus touchdowns from Adam Endersby and Joe Porter, and four goals from Ash Robson, provided the points for Acorn, but it was not enough to topple a Carl Puckering inspired Easts.

The stand-off grabbed a try, five goals and two field-goals for a 16-point haul, whilst tries from Lee Steward, Loz Wildbore, Chris Lyth and Ryan Steen completed the Hull sides scoring.

Jamie Devine crossed for a hat-trick as WATH BROW HORNETS cruised to a 58-16 win over INCE ROSE BRIDGE.

Devine’s treble and another from Karl Dixon eased the champions into a 24-10 half-time lead, before Ian Curnow, Gregg Dawson, Mark Watson (2), Ryan Doran and James Toman all crossed in the second period as Peter Caddy tagged on nine conversions.

Ince did muster three tries in response as Matt Meadon, Chris Boylan and Ryan Eccleston touched down and Kieran Eccleston improved two of them.

HULL DOCKERS caused an upset with an 18-14 victory over city rivals MYTON WARRIORS.

Kris Walker and Matthew Welham both went over within the first 13 minutes to give last year’s defeated grand finalists the perfect start and with Ash James improving both and adding a penalty the Warriors were 14-6 to the good at the break.

However, Aaron Bradley and Andy Taylor both crashed over within six minutes of each other to add to Andy Kay’s first half effort, and with Chris Stephenson slotting over the extras to all three the Dockers held on for a great win.

EGREMONT RANGERS set out a message to the rest of the division with a 36-14 win at WEST HULL.

The Cumbrians crossed for six tries in a commanding performance that saw John Paul Brocklebank kick six goals and touch down for a try to complete a 16-point haul.

Rhys Davies, Pete Murphy, Jack Stainton, Alistair Leak and Jonny Goulding were the other Rangers to cross the whitewash, whilst Wests could only manage a brace from Chris Whinn and a try and goal from Jack Ridsdill,

THATTO HEATH CRUSADERS did just enough to open the 2013 season with a 26-18 win over WIGAN ST PATRICKS.

Jack Jones, Darren Woods and Matty Range all touched down during a devastating opening from Thatto and with Jones also tagging on two conversions the 2011 champions were in full control.

Despite Stephen Simm responding for St Pats a long-range effort from Ryan Heaton meant the visitors were 20-4 ahead at half-time and Keiron Maddocks increased that advantage with the first points of the second half with a 48th minute effort which Jones improved.

To their credit Wigan dug deep and did get some reward with late tries to Andy Higham, John McCoy and Ryan Smith. Anthony Atherton tagging on a conversion.


Saturday March 2

Skirlaugh 4 v 18 Lock Lane
Leigh Miners Rangers 17 v 16 Siddal
East Hull 32 v 24 York Acorn
Wath Brow Hornets 58 v 16 Ince Rose Bridge
Hull Dockers 18 v 14 Myton Warriors
West Hull 14 v 36 Egremont Rangers
Wigan St Patricks 18 v 26 Thatto Heath Crusaders



BRADFORD DUDLEY HILL edged past STANLEY RANGERS 26-22 in Friday night’s opening NCL game.

The home side trailed 12-10 at half-time but eventually got back in the contest and held on for an opening round win.

Nathan Kitson converted his own try to open the scoring and minutes later Kenny Smith dived over to increase the home sides lead. However, Stanley hit back with a double of their own as Danny Grice converted efforts from Craig Williamson and Jamie Gollings to give his side a slender lead.

Dave Halley grabbed the first try of the second period to give Hill the lead again, before Kyle Borza and Adam Jefferson went over for touchdowns which looked to have sealed the points.

However, Mufaro Mvududu reduced the deficit in the 67th minute and when Williams grabbed his second with just two minutes left on the clock the home side were made to sweat.

MILLOM returned to CUMBRIA with the points after a 28-12 victory at DEWSBURY CELTIC.

Niki Crabtree helped himself to a try and two conversions and Pat Foulstone also touched down in the first period but that was as good as it got for the home side.

The visitors – who led 14-12 at half-time – saw Ricky Donahgue, Paul Evans and Anthony Dixon all cross the line in the first half, before man-of-the-match Marcus O’Brien (2) and Gareth Heasley completed the try scoring in the second period. The goals came via the boots of Evans and Ross Brooks.

EAST LEEDS cruised to a comfortable 40-10 home win over ROCHDALE MAYFIELD.

Jack Ely led the way with a try in each half, whilst Joey Walkin, Tom Sheldrake, Lee Fisher, David Nurse and Jason Priestley also got in the act. Priestley also kicked four goals and Sheldrake two.

Mayfield were always up against it and their only bright spots came through tries to Matt Ovington and Rob Kershaw, the first of which was converted by Todd O’Brien.

WATERHEAD returned from Leeds empty handed after going down 34-6 to MILFORD MARLINS.

The Oldham side could only muster a try from Darren Nixon and goal from Michael Diveney as the Marlins crossed for six tries on their own.

Josh Parle was on target with five goals as James Barker, Anthony Ward, Arron Jones-Bishop, James Coates, Shane Tasker-Howard and Matthew Harding.

Dean Hunt led the way as WIGAN ST JUDES returned from SADDLEWROTH RANGERS with a 28-14 win.

The Wigan side were 12-0 down at the interval but a stirring second half comeback saw them cross for five tries to come away with the points.

Jack Holden and Adam Jeffery both had their tries converted by Kiel Lancashire – who would also tag on a penalty – to put themselves in a the driving seat, before a rejuvenated St Judes returned for the second half.

Tom Owen got the ball rolling with a 46th minute effort before Hunt, Scott Robinson, Stephen King and Michael Whittle all crossed at regular intervals. Gareth Thomas improved four of them.

OULTON RAIDERS ran in 10 tries as they overpowered ECCLES 52-16.

Adrian Holdsworth and Danny Stanley both helped themselves to hat-tricks whilst Andy Eastham, Nathan Batty and Dane Charles (2) all crossed the whitewash. Stanley also tagged on six goals to complete a great afternoon’s work.

The home side were 30-0 adrift at the mid-way point but did manage to register tries to Adam Taher (2) and Simon Brown as Andrew Muscat slotted over a couple of goals.


Friday March 1

Bradford Dudley Hill 26 v 22 Stanley Rangers 

Saturday March 2

Dewsbury Celtic 12 v 28 Millom
East Leeds 40 v 10 Rochdale Mayfield
Milford Marlins 34 v 6 Waterhead
Saddleworth Rangers 14 v 28 Wigan St Judes
Eccles 16 v 52 Oulton Raiders



Honours were even as CASTLEFORD PANTHERS and ELLAND played out a hard fought 6-6 draw.

It took 28 minutes for the first points to arrive as Luke Varley crashed over and Liam Anholm added the extras to give the home side the lead.

However, just three minutes later Jorge Fairbank converted Chris Cullimore’s effort to level matters and that was how it stayed.

NORMANTON KNIGHTS and LEIGH EAST were two more side who could not be separated as they played out a thrilling 24-24 draw.

A last-gasp James Noon try snatched a point for the visitors who had earlier found themselves 10-0 at the break.

Paul Seal, Craig Wright (2), Ben Wilson and Tom Carroll were the men to cross for the Knights who also had Adrian Mulcahy on target with two goals.

Leigh improved vastly in the second half and responded with four tries on their own. Tom Fletcher, Kerrod Selmes, Ryan Peters and Noon were the scorers as Selmer also added four vital goals.

WIDNES WEST BANK BEARS and OVENDEN played out a tremendous encounter with the Bears just sneaking home 31-28.

Martin Murphy converted his own try in the dying minutes to give the visitors the lead and also added a field-goal to make sure his side started the season with a win.

Jordan Barr and Jack White had crossed twice for the Widnes side whilst Richard Arnold also crossed and Murphy booted three goals.

Ash Taylor, Chris Geoghegan, Dean McCallon, Gareth English and Dean Robertshaw all went over for the home side as Niall Brady landed four goals.

SHAW CROSS SHARKS raced into a 22-0 lead in as many minutes before eventually prevailing 34-16 over EASTMOOR DRAGONS.

Shaun Squires missed just one conversion attempt following tries to Tom Ripley, Matt Collett, Thomas Stuckley, Chris Walker, Aiden Chandler and Ryan Glynn, whilst for the Dragons Richard Colley (2), Arnold Mawere and Caine McVittie – two goals – were the point’s scorers.

ASKAM produced a stunning comeback to see off the challenge of OLDHAM ST ANNES 26-18.

The Saints had raced into an 18-0 lead thanks to tries from David Sweeney, Greg Worrall and Chris Carter, all of which were improved by Lee Forsyth. But, despite their advantage the visitors could not hold on.

James Duerden proved to be the catalyst as he helped himself to a hat-trick, whilst a Russ Bolton try and five Kristian Tyson goals completed the comeback.


Saturday March 2

Castleford Panthers 6 v 6 Elland
Normanton Knights 24 v 24 Leigh East
Ovenden 28 v 31 Widnes West Bank Bears
Shaw Cross Sharks 34 v 16 Eastmoor Dragons
Askam 26 v 18 Oldham St Annes



HEWORTH turned on the style as they ran out 58-6 winners at FEATHERSTONE LIONS.

Leigh Rientoul starred with a four-try show, whilst Tom Harrison (2), Mike Welsh, Ben Stoker, Adam Jones, Gavin Grant and Dan Walton all crossed and Tom Barron kicked seven goals.

The Lions only bright spot was a try to Davie Garahan and a conversion from Richard Frankland.

BLACKBROOK celebrated their return to the NCL with a 20-4 win at HINDLEY.

The St Helens side took the spoils thanks to touchdowns from Ste Parkinson, Greg Hale, Neil Bates and Kyle Owen, whilst two goals from Lee Marsh completed their scoring.

The home sides only reply was a try from Darren Picton.

KELLS hit the half-century mark with a 50-0 hammering of CROSFIELDS.

The Cumbrians had nine different scorers as Scott Lofthouse, Craig Benson, Ben Milburn, Ryan Watson, Martin O’Neil, Lewis Smith, Paul Lowery, David Lowery and Steven Fitzsimmons. Ryan Robb (5) and Ross Gainford added the goals.

PETERLEE PUMAS had a rude awakening to life in the NCL with a 104-6 defeat at PILKINGTON RECS.

Kyle Scott crossed for their only points in the 31st minute, but by that point his side were 44-0 down.

Danny Lynch racked up 32-points – three tries and 10 goals – whilst Andrew Knapper grabbed a hat-trick.

Kyran Knapper helped himself to two tries and four goals and there was also a brace for Jonno Peers.

The other tries came via Ryan Hillard, Mark Ashton, Kelvin Duffy, Ryan Rogers, Ben Gravener, Chris Smith, Liam Bostock, Dave Mason and Richard Rafferty.

A try two minutes from time by Troy Brophy allowed Danny O’Brien to kick his fourth goal as WOOLSTON ROVERS edged past UNDERBANK RANGERS 28-24.

Ryan Jones had earlier crossed twice for Woolston and he was joined on the score sheet by Scott Davidson and Billy Maunder.

Underbank had led thanks to a Corey Noel brace, and efforts from Michael Lang and Dave Pawson. Neil Barrett added four goals.

WIGAN ST CUTHBERTS squeezed past COVENTRY BEARS 34-28 to claim an opening weekend win.

The hosts edged in front 30-28 with Simon Meehan’s fifth goal just minutes from time, before Jacob Clarke sealed in with his sides seventh try.

Mike Scrivens, Sean Foster, Cain Thompson, Danny Clayton (2) and Meehan had touched down earlier in the contest, while the Bears had posted their points through tries to Ross Bayston (2), Reece Needham, Ben Tyers and Ryan Gowling. Steve Coleman added four conversions.


Saturday March 2

Featherstone Lions 6 v 58 Heworth
Hindley 4 v 20 Blackbrook
Kells 50 v 0 Crosfields
Pilkington Recs 104 v 6 Peterlee Pumas
Woolston Rovers 28 v 24 Underbank Rangers
Wigan St Cuthberts 34 v 28 Coventry Bears


For the latest news, fixtures and results in the NCL visit or follow @OfficialNCL


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.