National Conference League Round-up

Premier Division round-up

EGREMONT RANGERS boosted their play-off hopes following a 36-10 win over WIGAN ST PATRICKS.

The two points mean the Cumbrians leapfrog St Pats into sixth place with both sides having just one regular season game left next weekend.

John Paul Brocklebank improved efforts from Leon Crellin and Keiron Glenn (2) as the home side opened up an 18-0 lead, and they made the game safe with second half efforts from Crellin, Brocklebank – who finished with six goals – and Lewis Beckwith.

The visitors responded with tries to Joe Prior and Matty Charnock, with Brad Smith landing a conversion.

THATTO HEATH CRUSADERS lead the way heading into the final round of regular season games thanks to a 50-10 victory at EAST HULL.

The home side could only muster a Carl Puckering goal and tries to Lewis Straw and Tommy Brett and it was never going to be enough to halt a Thatto side that lead 24-10 at half-time.

Ryan Heaton starred with a hat-trick and he was joined on the score sheet by Chris Frodsham, Jamie Tracey, Luke Bradshaw, Kieron Maddocks, Leon Tatlock and Corey Lee. Shaun Quinn booted seven goals to help his side hit the half-century mark.

WATH BROW HORNETS cruised to a comfortable 34-4 success at INCE ROSE BRIDGE.

Scott Pink (2), Karl Dixon and Peter Caddy all crossed as the champions opened up an 18-0 lead, with three of the scores coming in a devastating seven minute spell just after the half-hour mark.

Gary Holcroft managed a consolation effort in the second period for Ince, but the Hornets closed with further touchdowns from Caddy, Richard Huby, Charlie Tomlinson and Peter Bewsher, with Pink also landing a first half conversion.

LEIGH MINERS RANGERS ran in 10 tries as they powered to a 52-26 win over MYTON WARRIORS.

Adam Thomason – with a hat-trick – and Andrew Groves (2) enjoyed their afternoon whilst Josh Ward – who also kicked six goals – Danny Jackson, Scott O’Brien, Jamie Muir and Andrew Hodson also crossed the whitewash.

Myton finished their 2013 campaign with tries from Chris Wainman, Ellis Wray, Lee James (2) and Jon Hobman, with Kris Walker adding three conversions.

SIDDAL slipped to a shock 6-4 defeat to SKIRLAUGH.

The Halifax side are already confirmed in the play-off places but will have wanted to keep up some form ahead of the end-of-season action.

Tom Saltmer raced over from long distance for the opening points and Ross Kemp’s conversion meant it was 6-0 at the interval.

Shaun Garrod hauled Siddal back into the contest with a 68th minute effort, but Gareth Blackburn’s conversion attempt drifted wide and the Hull side hung on.

WEST HULL were far too strong for city rivals HULL DOCKERS as the cruised to a 40-0 triumph.

Josh Hart, Danny Swales and Matt Plummer helped the home side build their lead as Scott Spaven landed the first of his four goal haul to make it 14-0 at the mid-way point.

Aaron Hickinbotham, James Jackson, Ash Rout (2) and Ian Kerman added second half touchdowns to complete a good afternoon’s work for a Wests side that now sits in fourth place.

Saturday October 12

East Hull 10 v 50 Thatto Heath Crusaders
Egremont Rangers 36 v 10 Wigan St Patricks
Ince Rose Bridge 4 v 34 Wath Brow Hornets
Leigh Miners Rangers 52 v 26 Myton Warriors
Skirlaugh 6 v 4 Siddal
West Hull 40 v 0 Hull Dockers


Division One round-up

HUNSLET WARRIORS picked up their seventh straight win with a 38-14 win at WATERHEAD.

The Oldham-based side battled bravely throughout the contest and got some reward through tries to Kieran Grennan and Dale Lowe, plus three goals from the boot of Alex Jobson.

However, the Warriors were not to be denied and by the half-time break had established a 22-8 lead.

Luke Pennington, Chris Hartley, Richard Wheelhouse and Mark Cunningham all touched down in the first half for the visitors, whilst second half efforts from Gareth Brain (2) and Matty Scott – and the last of Daryl Gaunt’s five goals – closed the game out.

WIGAN ST JUDES were made to work hard for their 36-30 victory over ECCLES.

The visitor’s first try came from former Wigan Warriors and Bradford Bulls star Shaun Ainscough, who has just returned from Australia, and their other touchdowns in the opening period were scored by Ryan Pendleton and Olumide Oladele.

The home side responded when Mike Carney kicked the first two of his five-goal haul to improve tries from Richard Openshaw and Mark Thomas meaning they trailed just 18-12 at the break.

Gareth Thomas, Daryl King and Barry Rothwell all went over for Wigan in the second half as Thomas added his sixth and final goal.

However, they were made to sweat thanks to further Eccles touchdowns from Eze Harker (2) and Jordan Parker.

EAST LEEDS were pushed all the way by MILLOM before squeezing home 16-14.

Dean Langton grabbed the crucial score with his injury time touchdown meaning his side are all but confirmed as champions.

The visitors retrieved the lead after the Woollybacks staged a stunning fight back from 12-0 down.

Tom Sheldrake improved efforts from Dale Pattison and Dave Nurse to give the leaders the perfect start, only for the home side to claw their way back through Lee Edmundson, Jordan Moyes and Ross Brookes.

However, despite the heart breaking late score seeing them slip to 16th defeat of the season, the Cumbrian’s are safe following results elsewhere.

OULTON RAIDERS were too good for DEWSBURY CELTIC as they ran out 28-12 winners.

Danny Hardy led the way with a brace for the home side, whilst Nathan Batty, Dom Flanagan and Josh Lancaster also touched down and Jamie Benn landed three goals.

Celtic – who trailed only 10-6 at half-time – registered tries through Josh Brooke and Josh Sykes, both converted by Nikki Crabtree.


The win – just the home sides fifth of the season – looks to have given them a fighting chance of holding on to their Division One status, however, defeat for Saddleworth looks like it could mean they will be playing Division Two rugby in 2014.

Richard Cattley, Joel Marsh (2) and Sam Rothery all scored within the first nine minutes as Stanley made a blistering start to the contest and the first two of Danny Grice’s four-goal haul meant it was 20-4 at the break.

Adam Jeffrey crossed either side of the interval to give Saddleworth some hope as did another effort from Liam Hall and two goals from Ethan Langhorne.

But that proved to be the last of the visitors points as Marsh – with his hat-trick score – Liam Crawley, Chris Higgs and Danny Asquith made the game safe.

Saturday October 12

Eccles 30 v 36 Wigan St Judes
Millom 14 v 16 East Leeds
Oulton Raiders 28 v 12 Dewsbury Celtic
Stanley Rangers 40 v 16 Saddleworth Rangers
Waterhead 14 v 38 Hunslet Warriors

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.