Leeds Rhinos 46-12 Salford City Reds



Rob Burrow scored his 150th try for Leeds as the Rhinos defeated Salford 46-12 at Headingley.

Following on from their Challenge Cup final heartache against Warrington the previous week, Leeds’ second half dominance was all too much for the City Reds.

Salford looked to have kept Leeds’ score down at half time despite not scoring themselves. Both sides went into the half time break with Leeds only 16-0 ahead.

However the floodgates opened for Salford, as Leeds went onto score five second half tries, including two from Kallum Watkins.

Jodie Broughton had the perfect opportunity to put Salford into an early lead with a break on the left edge after collecting a pass from Luke Patten.

However, despite being surrounded by several team mates, Broughton offloaded to Watkins to spoil a perfect try scoring opportunity.

Salford continued to pressure the home side, Jamie Jones-Buchanan came up with an uncharacteristic error shortly after. However Leeds still managed to get themselves on the score board first. 

After pressuring Salford to concede a goal-line drop out, Zak Hardaker and Watkins combined to put Ben Jones-Bishop in at the corner.

Leeds increased their lead shortly after. Jamie Peacock’s offload to Rob Burrow allowed the little scrum half to race through the City Reds’ line, before passing out wide to Ryan Hall for another try in the opposite corner.

Leeds completed their first half scoring as Kevin Sinfield scored a try under the posts. Several offloads kept the ball alive for Shaun Lunt, before Lunt passed to Sinfield on his right.

From the second half Leeds wasted no time in extending their lead. Burrow and Watkins, after assists in the first half, notched up tries early in the second half.

Weller Hauraki rounded off a seven and a half minute spell showing a great burst of pace to just about reach the Salford try line first.

Watkins scored his second try on the back of a Hardaker’s break that saw the centre-turned-fullback run rings around the City Reds before firing a pass to Watkins who was running in support on an angle.

Salford were well and truly on the ropes, and Jones-Buchanan didn’t help their cause when he overpowered the middle of the City Reds’ defence before stretching out to ground the ball firmly on the whitewash. 

Salford finally got on the score board in the 65th minute. Luke Patten was on hand to collect a small offload close to Leeds’ try line, before spinning over to score Salford’s first try of the match.

Patten got his second to round off the game with less than two minutes remaining. 


Leeds scores: T- Jones-Bishop, Hall, Sinfield, Burrow, Watkins (2), Hauraki, Jones-Buchanan. G- Sinfield (7)

Salford scores: T- Patten (2). G- Holdsworth (2)

Leeds: Hardaker; Jones-Bishop, Watkins, Keinhorst, Hall; Sinfield, Burrow; Leuluai, Lunt, Peacock; Delaney, Jones-Buchanan, Ablett. Subs: Kirke, Clarkson, Ward, Hauraki.

Salford: Patten; Broughton, Gleeson, Gibson, Williams; Holdsworth, Howarth; Boyle, Anderson, Sidlow; Nero, Ashurst, Wild. Subs: Neal, James, Owen, Walne.

Referee: Robert Hicks

Half time: 16-0

Attendance: 15,081