Josh Charnley was a guest on BBC Breakfast discussing his experience receiving online abuse, having met the supporter who sent it.
The Warrington winger was a victim of vile abuse following the club’s defeat to Hull KR at Craven Park last month.
Charnley recently met with the person, who sent a tweet following the 34-18 defeat on April 1.
Warrington Wolves issued two bans following the online abuse, saying they “strongly condemned” the message.
The 30-year-old was a guest on BBC Breakfast, saying he was shocked to see the messages on Twitter. The incident involved an 18-year-old male and a 21-year-old female.
Josh Charnley meets fan who sent vile abuse
“You could see he was shaking,” Charnley told BBC Breakfast. “He felt embarrassed about it.
“He wouldn’t have said that to me in that room. If you can meet them then you can get your point across and hopefully they’ll take that on the chin.”
He added: “I don’t know why I was targeted. It wasn’t nice to see and I don’t want to be getting comments like that and my family thinking I’m in danger.
“It shocked me at first. We don’t go out there every week to get beat.”
The message was sent following the club’s fifth straight defeat in both Super League and the Challenge Cup.
Warrington share statement
The club released a statement earlier in April saying: “Warrington Wolves strongly condemns the vile social media abuse directed at winger Josh Charnley following our Betfred Super League fixture against Hull KR.
“They are human beings, with families who also see and suffer from the abuse.
“The club are fully supportive of Josh who has understandably been affected by the comments.
“Following discussions with the RFL, as part of their “tackle it” campaign, an amicable meeting has been arranged with Josh and the male involved, who has subsequently expressed to the club and player his deep regret with his actions.”