Wigan win over Wire in 2016 grand final

Wigan have beaten Warrington 12-6 in the 2016 Super League grand final at Old Trafford, claiming their second title in the past four years.

The Warriors beat the Wire back in 2013, but fell to St Helens and Leeds in the next two years in the big one. But Wigan are finally back in the winner’s circle after an impressive second half comeback this evening.

Down by four points at half-time, Shaun Wane’s men ralied with tries to Oliver Gidlart and Josh Charnley sealing a dramatic victory.

Both coaches took risks with their bench, Sean O’Loughlin on the pine for Wigan and Chris Sandow and Ryan Bailey on the bench for Warrington.

All three were under injury clouds heading into the game.

There was an early chance for Warrington in the second minute after a knock on from John Bateman in his own half.

But Wigan held firm to keep their line intact.

Tom Lineham almost opened the scoring in the fourth minute but he could not stay in touch after collecting a bomb.

It was Wigan who took the early lead, thanks to a Matty Smith goal, after a penalty in the seventh minute.

Kurt Gidley peppered the Warriors backline with bombs in the opening stages but the Warriors were equal to it.

Warrington were struggling to get down the field thanks to great defensive pressure from Wigan.

The Warriors almost went further ahead after Liam Farrell broke through the middle. On the back of it, Anthony Gelling put Charnley over for a try but it was correctly ruled out for a forward pass.

The in the 17th minute Charnley knocked on a Wire bomb. Warrington attacked to the right and looked to have created an opening but Ryan Atkins dropped the ball with players free outside of him.

The Wolves were coming into the game with ball in hand and then youngster Declan Patton struck.

The halfback dummied and got through a half gap to score. He added the extras and Warrington were in front 6-2.

In the 22nd minute Sarginson knocked on a bomb to give Warrington another good attacking opportunity.

But Wigan managed to keep out both Gildey and Jack Hughes out, holding both up over the line.

In the 28th minute Taulima Tautai lost the ball in the tackle just 10 metres from his own try-line.

Wigan’s handling errors were mounting up but Warrington couldn’t take advantage.

Atkins stole the ball from Bateman and raced away 80 metres, until Charnley pulled him down after a terrific chase. But the play was called back with a penalty to Wigan.

After an intensive first 40 minutes the score remained at 6-2 at the interval.

Attacking chances were limited but there was no let up in intensity.

In the second half Wigan almost took the lead early after a Lewis Tierney break down the left wing.

But Warrington scrambled and forced an error to snuff the attack out.

Penalties began to flow for both sides. Errors also added up as passes became more frantic.

In the 55th minute Daryl Clark went off and Sandow finally came on.

Soon after Atkins barged over the try-line with the put down checked by the video referee.

Wigan’s prayers were answered with ‘No Try’ the call from above.

The game then swung back in their favour once more as Farrell broke through, finding Gildart on the outside to score.

It was tied up at 6-6 with Smith unable to add the extras.

Warrington, who had looked comfortable for most of the match, suddenly had their lead dismantled.

Then in the 62nd minute Lineham dropped the ball in a heavy tackle. Wigan had a scrum feed 15 metres from the Wire line.

It would prove costly as Sarginson grubbered the ball in behind and a brilliant put down from Charnley in his final Wigan game had the Warriors ahead.

Smith’s kick from the sideline was wide so the Warriors remained 10-6 in front with 16 minutes left.

Warrington pushed for an equaliser but Wigan’s defense, as it had been all game, was heroic.

In the final stages Wigan looked stronger as the Wolves’ play grew panicked.

Smith knocked over a penalty goal with six minutes to go to make it 12-6.

Matty Russell almost snuck over in the corner but a wall of cherry and white defenders hauled him into touch.

Then in the final minute Joe Westerman and Gidley were pulled down metres from the Wigan line as the Warriors secured their victory.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.