Wigan spoil Catalans’ party

Wigan Warriors have become only the third team to win at the Stade Gilbert Brutus this season after an impressive 26-6 win in Perpignan against Catalans Dragons.

The match was always going to be a big occasion not just because of the position of the two teams, but the fixture also marks 10 years since the Dragons became a Super League side.

And it was the home side that drew first blood after 10 minutes, as Pat Richards put the first two points on the board against his former club with a penalty after Ben Flower was punished for a late challenge.

It got worse for the Warriors eight minutes later after Lee Mossop deliberately tripped Tony Gigot as he brought the ball away from his own try line. He was sent for ten minutes in the sin bin.

But just four minutes later, the Warriors hit the front after a great pass sent Dom Manfredi away and he put Dan Sarginson in despite a huge deflection off Justin Horo. Although Horo recovered, he couldn’t stop Sarginson grounding the ball, much to the fury of the fans.

Matty Smith added the conversion to give the Warriors a four-point lead at 6-2.

With the Warriors still down to 12 men, they added another try on 26 minutes after Smith put Ryan Sutton into a gap to score.

Smith scored the conversion to stretch their lead to 12-2.

It soon got better for the Warriors, who were back to full strength at this stage, as Oliver Gildart turned on the accelerator 30 metres out on the left hand side and managed to come inside to go over right by the posts.

Smith scored with the conversion to extend the lead to 18-2, he then made it 20-2 right before half time with a penalty.

Horo then redeemed himself for the error that led to the Warriors first try by scoring the first try of the second half. He managed to escape the clutches of three tacklers to score in the corner.

Richards just missed the conversion but the deficit had been reduced to 20-6.

Manfredi then got in on the act as he spectacularly got to a kick from Sarginson ofirst n the stretch to all but win the game for the Warriors.

Smith added the conversion to increase the Warriors lead to 26-6 their biggest of the evening and this was the way it stayed.

The Warriors are now breathing down the necks of Hull FC and will look to increase the pressure when they welcome Wakefield to the DW Stadium next Friday.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.