Wigan prop Tony Clubb returns but plans to retire at end of season

Tony Clubb is set to return from his eight-match suspension

Wigan prop Tony Clubb is set to return from his eight-match suspension but plans to hang up his boots when his contract expires at the end of the season.

The 34-year-old former London Broncos forward has been sidelined since being punished for using “unacceptable language based on national or ethnic origin” to Andre Savelio during a Super League match against Hull in April.

With Ollie Partington an injury doubt for the game against Huddersfield on Sunday, Willie Isa and Ethan Harvard both suspended and John Bateman and Morgan Smithies still on the sidelines, the Warriors pack is depleted so Clubb’s availability will provide a timely boost for coach Adrian Lam, who says the veteran front-rower has put the incident behind him.

Lam said: “It ballooned into a big story and Tony is regretful of what was said. We all moved forward from there quite quickly.

“He’s a senior member of our squad and we’ve missed that. That’s what has hurt us the most. He’s going to be welcomed back with open arms.

“We’re looking forward to him playing with us and bringing that experience to us.”

Clubb is out of contract at the end of the season and, according to Lam, is set to hang up his boots.

Lam said: “I think Tony is of the mindset that this is his last year.

“I guess if he plays well enough and another club comes in for him he’s got the option to do that.

“But Tony’s focus is helping our team get back to winning ways. He’s done his time on the sidelines and he’s excited to be back in. If this is his last year with the club, he wants to go out on a high.”

Meanwhile, Warrington have announced the signing of former Wigan half-back George Williams on a three and a half year deal with immediate effect.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*