Wigan 22-10 St Helens

Wigan claimed their first Super League title since 1998 as they triumphed 22-10 over local rivals St Helens at a packed Old Trafford.

For Saints, it was a fourth successive Grand Final loss and it came in Keiron Cunningham‘s last ever game, as well as Mick Potter’s final game in charge before he moves to Bradford.

The Warriors were in control for almost the entire match as Saints rarely threatened and as soon as Sam Tomkins crossed for Wigan’s only try in the second half, it was clear that the Super League trophy was heading to the DW Stadium.

Wigan started the brighter and took the lead when former Saints centre Martin Gleeson took advantage of short numbers on the Saints left hand side to wrestle his way over the line.

He crossed the whitewash for a second time minutes later after getting on the end of a lovely Wigan move. A line break by Tomkins was backed up by man of the match Thomas Leuluai, who passed inside to Paul Deacon, before he squared a pass back outside to Gleeson who raced home to put the ball down under the sticks, and Wigan had a 10-0 lead.

Saints struggled to impose themselves at any period and despite some stern defence at times, they found themselves 16-0 down when another penalty gifted Wigan field position, and quick hands down the right saw Darrell Goulding presented with a simple finish.

Fortunately, for the sake of the game, Saints managed to cross before the half time break when Andrew Dixon raced on to Jon Wilkin‘s pass to go over by the side of the posts, and at 16-6, it was game on.

The first try after half time was always going to be crucial, and as it was Wigan got it through Tomkins, and they went on to see out the game comfortably, despite a late rally by Saints in which Francis Meli crossed, but in truth it was too little too late, and Saints were made to watch the Super League trophy presented to their opposition for the fourth time in a row, following defeats to Leeds in each of the previous three seasons.

About James Gordon 7071 Articles
Love Rugby League editor. Founded the website back in 2005. Worked with a range of clubs and sponsors during that time. Also commentates for BBC.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.