Whitehaven 48-12 Hull Kingston Rovers


Match Report by Recregoer

Whitehaven strolled to a victory over Hull KR who never really came to win. Help by a poor attitude and a few players like Michael Smith who looked and played like he'd been on Neil Baynes' diet plan Hull KR just rolled over for Haven.

Haven started well and nearly scored instantly Ben Cockayne got lucky after slipping – he just recovered in time to get Duffy's kick from his own 40 before Steve Maden.

Hull KR showed some early signs and the ref left Haven's crowd saying "oh here we go again" after he penalised Haven twice in two minutes for offside.

On roughly eight minutes Whitehaven got their first try when John Duffy's cut out pass put young winger John Lebbon over.

Hull KR really couldn't keep up with the pace that Haven were playing and Duffy's kick through was touched down by Carl Rudd who slotted the conversion over to give Whitehaven a 10-0 lead.

Haven's next try came from a nightmare of a mistake from one of the Welham's. Rudd's kick to corner looked harmless and the HKR player was taking the kick in goal but what a mess he made, he dropped the ball and Steve Maden dived on the loose ball to score. Rudd converted from out wide and it looked like Haven could cut loose.

The next try really summed up Hull KR's attitude towards the game. Derry Eilbeck broke from his own half and passed to Steve Maden who went the remaining 50 metres to score although after Eilbeck passed the ball. Every Hull KR player gave up and decided they wanted to push Derry Eilbeck as Maden walked under the sticks with 11 teammates around him. Rudd converted Haven led 22-0.

Just on half time Graeme Mattinson went from dummy half and put Leroy Joe over for a try. Leroy again showing what he can do. Rudd converted after the hooter and Whitehaven led 28-0 at the break.

Whitehaven again were on top and Graeme Mattinson went 30 yards from dummy half to score what could be his first try for the senior team. Rudd again converted from out wide 34-0.

Hull KR actually scored next. Wait for it …… Michael Smith actually took a ball in (don't worry though he didn't make a tackle). Some time later Matty Brooks went under the posts. Couturier converted 34-6.

Howard Hill then got a try as he normally does against Hull KR, Rudd converted before going off.

Hull KR then got a second try which was two more than their performance deserved Andy Ellis dummied his way over from short range, 40-12.

Haven finished with two more tries Spencer Miller went over from 40 yards. Duffy missed that conversion and young winger John Lebbon added another try. Seeds missed that conversion. Haven won with ease, 48-12.


Broadbent, Lebbon (2T), Seeds, Eilbeck, Maden (2T), Joe (T), Duffy, Trindall, Smith, Fatialofa, Miller (T), Leafa, Rudd (T, 6G)

Subs Mattinson (T), Teare, Wright, Hill (T).

Hull Kingston Rovers

Cockayne, K. Welham, Couturier (2G), Whittle, L. Welham, Joseph, Brooks (T), Aizue, Ellis (T), Wilson, Morrison, Smith, Netherton

Attendance 2,046

Man of the Match

The official award went to Graeme Mattinson who played really well but I thought Spencer Miller was outstanding. Only his second game back from a career threatening injury yet he played 75 minutes, probably topped the tackle count and broke through a lot of tackles, plus scoring a try. Top performance from Spencer. From HKR there were Cockayne and Ellis who tried. Morrison tried to make a few tackles as for Michael Smith when he moved it was only actually to the bench as he couldn't take the abuse from the Haven fans, who picked up that he stood five yards behind play constantly and didn't do much. Really his attitude towards the game looks appalling.

Referee – Michael Dawber

Not a great game for him but certainly not the worst. Penalised Haven twice early on for offside yet he actually laughed through the first 10 minutes when Haven fans were shouting about how far they were standing offside. In a tighter match he'd probably have done ok. But he certainly helped the visitors especially with how far he was taking both teams back.

If you want to submit a match report for your team e-mail webmanager@lasttackle.co.uk