Warrington seal semi-final spot with win over Huddersfield

Photo courtesy of Richard Long

Bryson Goodwin scored two tries to help Warrington secure their place in the top four thanks to a nail-biting win over Huddersfield.

The result now sees the Wolves sit eight points above fifth-placed Huddersfield with just three games left, making it impossible for them to be caught.

Steve Price made two changes to his Warrington side that beat Hull FC last week. Ryan Atkins and Harvey Livett came in for Ben Murdoch-Masila and Bodene Thompson.

Huddersfield Giants coach Simon Woolford made five changes to his team that lost to Wakefield Trinity last time out. Jake Mamo, Oliver Roberts, Innes Senior, Daniel Smith and Jake Wardle replaced Jermaine McGillvary, Leroy Cudjoe, Darnell McIntosh, Aaron Murphy and Colton Roche.

Warrington started the better side at the Halliwell Jones Stadium but were dealt the first blow. Mike Cooper was sent to the sin bin for a high shot on Adam O’Brien.

The Giants scored on the back of the penalty from Cooper. Mamo flew over in the corner on his return to the side. Danny Brough couldn’t convert but they led 4-0 after 16 minutes.

The hosts bounced back midway through the first half as Goodwin ran a good line to burst onto a Stefan Ratchford drop-off and touch down. Tyrone Roberts converted to edge his side in a 6-4 lead.

Scotland international Brough added a penalty goal for Huddersfield on the half hour mark to level the score at 6-6.

Huddersfield went back in front thanks to an 80-metre breakaway try from Mamo. However, their lead lasted only two minutes as Atkins went over to score on his return to action.

Mamo completed his hat-trick just before the break following a fine cut-out pass from Tonga star Ukuma Ta’ai. Brough couldn’t convert but the Giants were 14-12 to the good at half-time.

Warrington started the second half in fine form. England international Ratchford raced through a large gap in the Huddersfield defence to score from 10 metres out.

The Wolves were in again in the 52ndminute. Tom Lineham produced an acrobatic finish in the corner, Warrington 22-14 Huddersfield.

Huddersfield bridged the gap on the hour mark. Lee Gaskell scored following an incredible 70-metre break from Senior.

But Price’s side extended their lead in the 68thminute. Goodwin grabbed his second as he leapt like a salmon to take Roberts’ kick to score.

The Giants made it a very nervy finish as Wardle went over with three minutes remaining. Brough failed to convert and he also missed a last-gasp penalty goal, with Warrington going on to seal a narrow 26-24 win.

Warrington: Ratchford; Lineham, Goodwin, T King, Charnley; K Brown, Roberts; Hill, Clark, Cooper, Hughes, Atkins, Livett. Subs: Philbin, G King, Patton, Pomeroy.

Huddersfield: Rankin; Mamo, Turner, Wardle, I Senior; Gaskell, Brough; Ta’ai, O’Brien, Matagi, Mellor, Roberts, Hinchcliffe. Subs: Leeming, Lawrence, Clough, Smith.

Starman: Bryson Goodwin looked a real threat in attack and his combination with winger Tom Lineham is silky.

Attendance: 9,076

About Drew Darbyshire 8040 Articles
Love Rugby League Deputy Editor. Joined the site ahead of the 2017 World Cup and been a full-time reporter since 2018.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.