Warrington progress to Challenge Cup quarter-finals with thrilling win over Toronto

Photo courtesy of Richard Long

Warrington progressed to the quarter-finals of the Challenge Cup after running in 10 second half tries against Toronto.  

Steve Price named an unchanged Warrington team to the one that beat Leeds Rhinos in Super League last time out.

Toronto coach Paul Rowley made three changes to his side that thrashed Swinton Lions in the Championship last weekend. Greg Worthington, Ashton Sims and Andy Ackers replaced Nick Rawsthorne, Olsi Krasniqi and Blake Wallace.

The Canadian side started excellently and soon got on the front foot. The ball went wide to Adam Higson who finished acrobatically in the corner. Ryan Brierley failed to convert, but Toronto were 4-0 up.

Gareth O’Brien was having a big impact on the game against his former club. He set up Higson and then he assisted Ireland star Liam Kay on the other side. The conversion was wide, but the Wolfpack led 8-0.

Warrington replied with a try midway through the first half. Mike Cooper bounced off a challenge from Cory Paterson to go under the sticks. Bryson Goodwin added the extras, Warrington 6-8 Toronto.

The Wolfpack were dealt a blow on the half hour mark. Winger Kay was sent to the sin bin for tipping Josh Charnley in the tackle.

Kevin Brown thought he had scored for Warrington when he went over in the 33rdminute. It was ruled out by the video referee for obstruction.

Ryan Brierley then extended Toronto’s lead by adding a penalty goal.

Toronto were dealt a hammer blow in the 38thminute. Andrew Dixon was sent off for punching Harvey Livett.

Warrington took the lead for the first time just before the break. They put the ball through quick hands to Charnley who dived over out wide. Goodwin added the conversion to put the Wolves 12-10 ahead of half time.

The Wolves scored a great breakaway try at the start of the second half, finished off by Harvey Livett.

Ben Murdoch-Masila extended Warrington’s lead in the 44thminute. Goodwin converted to put Warrington 22-10 in front.

Toronto had another man in the sin bin after half-back Josh McCrone was sent to the sin bin for dissent.

Warrington were certainly turning on the heat in the second half and scored through Jack Hughes. Goodwin’s boot took the score to 28-10.

Wolfpack prop Darcy Lussick was sent to the sin bin for dissent in the 52ndminute.

Shortly after, Ben Westwood bulldozed his way over the line to extend Warrington’s lead. Goodwin converted and Warrington were 34-10 to the good.

Tom Lineham flew down the left wing to score for Warrington. Goodwin added the extras to put the Wolves 40-10 ahead.

Warrington were running rampant in the second half. Hughes got a nice offload away to Tyrone Roberts who scored. Warrington led 44-10.

Lineham got his second of the afternoon in the 66thminute. The conversion was on point from Goodwin and the Wolves were 50-10 to the good.

Murdoch-Masila crashed over the line for his second in the 69thminute. Goodwin converted to put his side 56-10 in front.

Charnley made a quick break down the right to score for Warrington and even produced a cheeky finish under the sticks. Goodwin added the conversion.

Lineham completed his hat-trick for Warrington at the death with a fantastic dive in the corner. Warrington sealed a 66-10 victory at the Halliwell Jones Stadium and progressed to the quarter-finals of the Challenge Cup, where they will meet Wigan.

Warrington:Ratchford; Lineham, Goodwin, Atkins, Charnley; Brown, Roberts; Hill, Clark, Cooper, Livett, Hughes, Westwood. Subs: Philbin, Murdoch-Masila, Patton, Akauola.

Toronto:O’Brien; Higson, Stanley, Worthington, Kay; McCrone, Brierley; Lussick, Beswick, Sims, Dixon, Paterson, Emmitt. Subs: Sidlow, Bussey, Ackers, Hopkins.

Starman: Joe Philbin was excellent for Warrington and made a lot of metres with his carries.

Attendance: 6,507

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.