Warrington edge out Wildcats

Wakefield made Warrington work for the spoils as the Wolves came from behind to win 32-30 at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

Wakefield scored first when Isaac John’s pass put Danny Washbrook in close to the posts. The Warrington defence appeared to open up for Washbrook as he dived over the line.

Warrington replied shortly after with Ryan Atkins. Richie Myler’s pass gave Trent Waterhouse the chance to break Wakefield’s line, and Atkins was in support to finish off the try.

But Wakefield didn’t switch off, and continued to force the Wolves into conceding penalties and forced errors.

They re-took the lead after Kyle Wood stole the ball one-on-one inside the Warrington 20 metres. Wood then offloaded the ball which allowed Isaac John in to score the try.

Wakefield were gifted possession again as the Wolves’ discipline was under scrutiny from referee Thierry Alibert. Wakefield took advantage of all their possession with a try from former Wolves fullback Richie Mathers.

Myler scored after breaking through the middle for the Wolves, but soon after Paul Wood was sin binned for persistent fouling which gave John the opportunity to extend the Wildcat’s lead to eight points before half time.

Warrington needed a try early in the second half and they got it with Myler’s second try of the game. Michael Cooper and Simon Grix set up Myler, who made the break to score on the far side of the field.

Ali Lauititi then burst through a solid Warringotn defence and somehow managed to touch down amongst the scrambling defenders.

Ben Westwood then brought Warrington back into the game before Simon Grix scored a lucky try for the Wolves. Lee Briers’ kick rebounded off a Wakefield boot, and Grix was first to react.

Joel Monaghan scored in the corner before Wakefield set up a nervous finish for the Wolves. Chris Riley couldn’t collect a neat grubber kick from Tim Smith, and Danny Washbrook was able to pick the ball up and set up Vince Mellars in the corner.

Isaac John couldn’t convert the try, and Warrington held on for the win.

Warrington: Riley; J Monaghan, Bridge, Atkins, Williams; Briers, Myler; Morley, M Monaghan, Hill; Waterhouse, Westwood, Grix. Subs: Wood, Cooper, Blythe, Dwyer.

Wakefield: Mathers; Fox, Kirmond, Mellars, Cockayne; John, Smith; Raleigh, Aiton, Amor; Southern, Lauititi, Washbrook. Subs: Wood, Johnson, Wilkes, Walshaw.

Referee: Thierry Alibert

Half time: 12-20


Wigan spoiled a spirited London performance with a 42-30 win at the DW Stadium.

Brett Finch scored a double but London went ahead first with Michael Witt. Gareth Hock, Darrell Goulding and George Carmont scored for the Warriors before half time as Michael Robertson and Daniel Sarginson kept the Broncos in the game.

However Pat Richards and Sam Tomkins scored enough tries for the Warriors to keep London at bay, who managed to score early in the half with Chris Melling.


Danny Tickle scored four tries for the Arlie Birds as Hull FC thrashed Widnes 58-10.

Willie Manu got a double and added tries from Andy Lynch, Richard Whiting, Sam Moa and Shaun Briscoe all before the hour mark.

Widnes replied late in the game with two tries from Paddy Flynn, but the result was never in doubt for Hull.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.