Warrington 6-28 Castleford

Tony Smith saw his side slump to a second successive Easter defeat putting the Wolves miserably in 13th position in the table.

After Good Friday’s disappointing result against Salford, Warrington looked to bounce back against the Castleford Tigers, but succumbed to an embarrassing 28-6 home defeat.

The Tigers atoned for their defeat against rivals Wakefield by beating the Wolves comfortably, despite being in the face of adversity of a time throughout the game.

They suffered several injuries throughout the game, which saw four of the Tigers’ players pick up niggles that could rule them out for Sunday’s game against St Helens.

Both sides battled for the first forty minutes, the half-time scoreline only showing six points in favour of the Tigers.

But the second half proved to be the turning point as the Tigers ran riot.

It took 33 minutes for the Tigers to break the stalemate, Brett Ferres showing great support play to Michael Shenton and Michael Wainwright‘s move down the left wing to cross. Kirk Dixon converted to continue his excellent form with the boot.

Warrington did have a chance to equal matters shortly before the hooter, but Matt King was superbly held up over the line.

And in a second half performance Terry Matterson branded as “ruthless”, the Tigers extended their advantage shortly after the restart.

Brent Sherwin fired a long pass to the wing, which Wainwright superbly managed to cling onto, before wrong-footing the Wolves’ sliding defence to dive over.

And 12-0 soon became 18-0, with Sherwin’s excellent short kick being pounced on by Rangi Chase, who now looks to have settled into the rigamarole of Super League life after a shaky start.

Warrington did rally to try and get back into it, Garreth Carvell and Paul Rauhihi making some hard yards against a tired and weary Tigers defence.

And they did manage to break through nine minutes later to give their fans hope of salvaging something, when Chris Bridge found a gap and reached over to score.

But the Tigers added two further scores to prevent any chance of a comeback.

The first came through Michael Shenton, before Rangi Chase added another taking advantage of some slow and lethargic defence.

Warrington: 6

T:Bridge (62)
G:Hicks (63)

Castleford: 28
T:Brett Ferres (32), Michael Wainwright (50), Rangi Chase (55,76), Michael Shenton (70).

G: Kirk Dixon (33,51,56,77)

Ref: S Ganson

Att: 8,202

HT: 0-6

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.