Warrington 28-36 Hull KR


Warrington and Hull KR saved the best for last as Hull KR ran out narrow winners in the final game of the Magic Weekend

It was Warrington who started off the brightest as Chis Riley broke free and covered half the field before being tackled just short of the line, Warrington wom a penalty and from the resulting play, Chris Hicks went over in the corner to give the Wolves the lead. Hicks converted his own try from the touchline.

The Robins fought back through a Shaun Briscoe try after Paul Rauhihi had knocked the ball out of a Hull KR hand after a completed tackle but Warrington re-took the lead when running the ball on the last tackle, hooker Jon Clarke fed Michael Monaghan to score.

Warrington then stretched their lead when Monaghan turned provider for Vinnie Anderson, but Hull KR struck back when Michael Dobson took 3 players over the line and touched down while on his back. Warrington finished the half strongest but the scores remained the same at the break.

Justin Morgan rallied his team during the break though and Mick Vella levelled the scores before Dobson gave Hull KR the lead with the conversion. A Scott Murrell 40/20 kick then led to a second try of the half, Clint Newton going over this time.

Warrington hit back when they forced the overlap and a long pass was taken neatly by Chris Hicks who scored his second of the night and his 8th in 3 games. Ben Galea made sure Warrington needed two scores when he burst onto a quick pass and found the gap to go over, setting up a tense finish.

Vinnie Anderson made it even more nerve jangling after recieving a pass from Chris Hicks, who had made a run to the inside from the wing, Hicks’ conversion made it a 2 point ball game and with 3 minutes left, the game was still to be one.

With the hooter beckoning though, it was Hull KR who finished the game off when he dived over from short range, bringing the Magic Weekend to a close and breaking the hearts of the thousands of Warrington fans who had made the trip North.